C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 12:31 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new

i wish i could afford a be cool radiator, but i cant right now. can anybody tell me how much a 79 automatic corvette radiator cost? is it cheaper to have it fixed? the leak is not huge but bars leak wont work. and i need it fixed to race.

fix or buy new? thanks :confused:
Old 08-09-2001, 12:37 AM
AussieVette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new (Vetteboy)

Get a quote on having it fixed you could be pleasantly surprised. I have mine done a couple of months ago for about $60, they fixed a split in the tank on the drivers side.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:54 AM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question! :yesnod:
I just discovered a leak in my radiator: here's what I did. Since I have A/C also, I knew it would take me several hours to get that radiator out. After that, I decided a new radiator was worth it :rolleyes:

I took my old original brass rad. to the shop, they could recore it for several hundred $, and it would be gauranteed for 6 mo. I don't want to mess with this again! A new Modine radiator (model 478) cost $287, and comes with a lifetime warranty! :cheers: I looked at Mid America and Corvette Central - they have new radiators for $299, but they're made by U.S. Radiator and only come with a 1-2 year warranty. Not good enough for me.

Take a good look at your radiator -- do you see white spots along the edges/sides of the core? Do you have much corrosion/scale depositis inside the core? fF so, these are all indicators that your core is probably leaks a little at all those white spots, and the corrosion may actually be slowing the leak rate :bb :bb I decided that the amount of labor involved to pull my radiator ain't worth anymore hassle. SO I went with a brand new brass Modine 478. It arrives tomorrow!

While I was waiting, and since I had the hood off anyway, I refinished and painted the inside of the hood (BBQ black), and cleaned and painted the shroud (clear coat satin). Might as well have the whole thing looking better than when I pulled it! I also ordered through Covette Centeral new Auto trans inlet/outlet tubes, new shroud and support seals, etc., all to bring it back to new. The original foam seals were missing, and these are critical to ensure good airflow through the core, and assist with cooling. Make sure you have all the required seals and fasteners if you're going to do the job right.

Cheers,
Dave

:blueangel:
Old 08-09-2001, 01:00 AM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new (kenko74)

thanks for the info. but what do i do if the radiator is leaking in the main part of the radiation(the small fins in the body of the radiatior) on the top right hand corner. is that an easy fix? if you have a rad. fixed may the problem return, or is that not likely?
Old 08-09-2001, 01:09 AM
kenko74
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A quote is usually free at Rad shops, I'd start there. But the fin area (core) is difficult to fix. They usually completely separate the core out, and solder in a new core into your existing end caps. Lots of labor, and as I said earlier, usually only a short warranty.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:51 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

I just had mine re-cored a little while ago. Made a world of difference for the car. As for the quality, I guess it just depends on where you have it done. My families '58 Chevy Apache Stepside had a re-core done in the early 80's and has not had a problem to this day.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:22 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Default Re: Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new (Steve Straus)

cool guys, thanks fot the advice.

Get notified of new replies

To Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new

Quick Reply: Have leak in Radiator fixed or buy new