C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 with comp controlled carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 81 with comp controlled carb

Is there an on line source/primmer on what doed the computer do in a computer controlled carb like on the 81? My understanding is that it controls fuel mixture, is this correct? So that after mods like heads, intake, headers, rejeting/needles wuold get it working in the correct range ?

Any advise would help

Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

www.diy-efi.org/gmecm might have some information in the email list archives.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:09 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is very little information available for tuning the '81. Although the carb was used in other vehicle the ECM was a one year only thing. If you search the forum there is alot of info available. Try searching for E4ME, there are a handful of members that have dealt with this system quite extensively. I know it's not 'online', but the 1981 Corvette Shop manual and Doug Roe's book - Rochester Carburators, have a lot of information about the system.

The biggest problem with tuning this system is you can't change the timing curve. You can change the base timing, but not the actually curve. As long as you don't change the vacuum levels too much the system will work great.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:11 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks Stick
Old 02-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Pretty basic..

The Quadrajet on you car uses a solenoid (upper RH passenger side of the carb - blue plug) to control fuel flow. Its an on/off style solenoid that controls the main fuel delivery by varying the pulse rate of the main jet needles. It uses sensor input (throttle position, manifold pressure, O2 (oxygen sensor) to adjust the mixture.

Your on the right track, and you may be alright with the stock needle/jet combo, but bigger ones would work if needed. Good luck.

Hans
Old 02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The E4ME isn't what you'd call a high performance friendly carburetor due to the computer not being very tweak friendly. However, hypertech sells ECMs for it that are tweaked for different thermostats and such. You can get a hypertech ecm from Kragen but they're like over $100. The complexity of the E4ME is what drives people away from it and many, like me, end up just yanking the damn thing out and going with the M4ME and a vacuum advance HEI, which is the step before the E4ME and doesn't use a computer.

The system is pretty cool for like a daily driver or maybe a cruiser, but if you want to crank out a lot of horsepower it limits you.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 with comp controlled carb

Quick Reply: 81 with comp controlled carb