C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it safe to have my car put on a lift? Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2001, 05:09 PM
a1parrothead
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it safe to have my car put on a lift? Please Help!!

O.K. Guys, I have heard the bad news about jacking my car wrong. My front tranny seal went out and I am dumping fluid all over.
I have a friend that owns a transmission shop and gives me GREAT rates on repairs. Problem is he only has the type of lift that you drive
over and it lifts by the frame, not the tires. You know, the kind like at Les Schwab or other tire places. Is this O.K.?
I would hope so, or how else are you ever supposed to get it high in the air? Maybe only on lifts you drive on and it lifts all four wheels supported??? Please let me know if its o.k.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:32 PM
LT1man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Is it safe to have my car put on a lift? Please Help!! (a1parrothead)

I use a frame lift all the time. It has four lift pads. What I ALWAYS do is open the front doors (unlatch) so that the stress isn't concentrated on the door hinges and latches. This is especially important with a convertible. Don't open the doors just unlatch them and let them rest in the door well.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:33 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Is it safe to have my car put on a lift? Please Help!! (a1parrothead)

Unless your frame is really weak and rusty, you should be able to jack it up or put it on a frame lift with no concern whatsoever. The ladder frame is very strong by design and should have no problem with it. Make sure the car is balanced front/rear on the lift and that none of the "pucks" on the lift are resting against the transmission crossmember or anywhere that they may slip off.

Shannon

Get notified of new replies

To Is it safe to have my car put on a lift? Please Help!!

Quick Reply: Is it safe to have my car put on a lift? Please Help!!