C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these brake calipers hosed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 01:42 PM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Are these brake calipers hosed?

I took off both front wheels, and decided to remove one of the calipers completely. They definitely don't look good, but would they be alright with a little bit of sandblasting, powder coating, and new pistons and seals?

I'd really be happy if I didn't have to spend $400 on a stainless kit if I don't HAVE to, at least for now.
http://www.dellanave.com/corvette/la..._6_640x480.JPG http://www.dellanave.com/corvette/la..._7_640x480.JPG http://www.dellanave.com/corvette/la..._8_640x480.JPG <-- Boy aren't they nice looking

Thanks as always
Old 08-11-2001, 03:09 PM
Joe Lucia
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Are these brake calipers hosed? (ddn)

Dave------

EXTERNALLY, the calipers look fine. A good bead blasting or some time with a wire wheel and they'll look like new. However, the EXTERNAL appearance is NOT the critical part. The condition of the caliper BORES is what counts. So, you'll need to diassemble the calipers to inspect for this. Simply remove the caliper half bolts and pull out the pistons.

Then, clean the piston bores with a rag or paper towel and inspect them. If there is even the slightest pitting or corrosion damage (which is likely), they'll need to be sleeved. If not, or if the calipers have been previously stainless steel sleeved (which is possible), then all you need to do is too clean them up and rebuild them.

To rebuild, you'll need to use new piston seals, boots, and o-rings (used for the front calipers only). Also, if the pistons are, at all, worn (which is likely) you'll need to replace these, too. Check the sealing ridge just behind the seal groove. If ANY of the anodize is worn off anywhere on the perimeter of this ridge, then the piston will need to be replaced.

This is a job that you want to do RIGHT, regardless of the cost. We're talking BRAKES here, not fuel door emblems . Brakes are CRITICAL to your safety and the safety of others. LIVES might depend upon them.
Old 08-11-2001, 03:18 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: Are these brake calipers hosed? (ddn)

David,
Have you pulled the pistons and checked the bores of the calipers? That is the real test to see if they are junk or not. I know they might look bad but they might have been already replaced with SS lined units.
My calipers looked bad on the outside, but when I pulled the pistons and seals the bores were unscarred and smooth. They were replacements, remember that the car is 30+ years old and salt, dirt and road debris will make a mess out of hard driven cars.
Break them down, clean them up and then check them.
If they are beyond repair (in your best estimate) you don't have to spend $400.00 for new calipers. Believe it or not Autozone sells good quality rebuilt calipers for under $60.00 each.
If you rebuild the calipers PLEASE use Zero Tolerance O-ring pistons and seals. If you can't find those, order the very similar kit from Zip through the Corvette Mall here on the Forum.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:29 AM
ddn
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Are these brake calipers hosed? (Joe Lucia)

Joe,
I figured a blasting would clean them up, but I was wondering if you guys would say "If the outside is that bad, the inside is worse".

I don't plan to cut corners on the brakes, in fact, I think they're about THE most important part of the car for real performance driving. I just REALLY want to get my car on the road. THEN, I'll be adding the Porsche carbon ceramic uber brakes ;)

Get notified of new replies

To Are these brake calipers hosed?

Quick Reply: Are these brake calipers hosed?