C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley, and now fuel is spewing out of the sight hole!!!

Old 08-11-2001, 08:13 PM
Turbo 77
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley, and now fuel is spewing out of the sight hole!!!

I was adjusting the front bowl float on my holley, and i lost track of how many times I turned the hex nut!! When I started the car, fuel started shooting out of the hole, and when i tried plugging the thing up and starting again, the car ran for 10 seconds, died, and then started shooting fuel down the bores. To make matters worse, the gaskets got torn up from all the fuel. Help me please, I'm desperate!!
Old 08-11-2001, 08:31 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley....

Hehehehe.....turn the screw the other way. Tap on the top of the carb with a wrench to help shock the needle back out of the seat. It could be stuck up in there.
Old 08-11-2001, 09:19 PM
Turbo 77
Cruising

Default Re: HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley.... (Jvette73)

I tried turning the other way, but it still does it, If the needle is stuck, will it squirt fuel even if the floats are correct?
Old 08-11-2001, 11:08 PM
a smith
Pro

Default Re: HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley.... (Turbo 77)

First off fuel is not going to tear up your gaskets.If your gaskets are maingled go to your local speed shop and get new ones.Take your carb apart and while you are replacing the bowl and metering block gaskets you can set the float level dry to get you to a starting point.Turn the bowl upside down and set the float level so that you can slide a 7/16 drill bit between the float and the bowl.Put the carb back on the car and turn the car over long enough to let the bowls fillup with fuel and start the car.Now you can adjust the float level with the engine running.Remove the sight plug.Changing the float level is accomplished by loosening the lock screw and rotating the adjuster nut.Rotating the adjuster clockwise will lower the float level.Counter clockwise will raise the float level.One important note to remember when adjusting float levels is that,adjustments to raise the float level will be immeditely visible with the increased fuel level.Adjustments to lower the float level wil not be immediately visible.The excess fuel in the bowl must be run off before the fuel level stabilizes at the new lower setting. :yesnod:
Old 08-12-2001, 10:35 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my

You can pull that side bowl off is 2 minutes and clear out whatever is causing your float to stick. Your local speed shop should have the proper gasket. Then, readjust the floats starting with the float more or less level. If you float sticks up it will flood the car. This is such an easy fix that you should just jump into it.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley, and now fuel is spewing out of the sight hole!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!!! Was trying to adjust floats on my Holley, and now fuel is spewing out of the sight hole!!!