C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kids in the garage

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:29 PM
slide
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids in the garage

My son is 2 1/2 yrs old and when it comes to working on the Vette he can't wait to go to the garage and turn wrenches. I've been taking him to the garage since he was about 3 months old. I'd just put him in his swing and he'd be content as could be. Now he's older and wants more hands on stuff. I hope starting him young will make him a motor head like his dad. any other dads or moms take their kids to the garage ?
Old 08-11-2001, 11:37 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Kids in the garage (slide)

My son is in the garage on a regular basis. I'll let him turn a wrench now and then on the vette, but usually he is trying to fix his cozy coupe or his bike. He is my best cruising partner. We'll take off and tell mom we're going out cruising for chicks. He likes to pull up next to other cars and give them the thumbs up sign. He also likes to tell me to go faster, like I need to be encouraged.
Old 08-11-2001, 11:44 PM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haven't tried to post a pic since new forum software - here goes.

This is my now 9 year old, when he was 3 or 4 taking a Holley apart.

My dad owned a one man garage the whole time I was growing up - I still remember the first time I got to "drill a hole". I was in charge of removing copper from starter motors and alternators one summer - even got to keep the cash when we sold it.

My son helps in the garage for a while, then heads off to do his own thing. I usually stop and check when he comes to me and ask for a hammer- I always stop and check when he comes and asks for a bigger hammer:D

Old 08-12-2001, 12:19 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

My 18 month old son Cole loves to be in the garage with me working on the Vette. Here he is helping put together the new ZZ4 crate motor installed this past winter. He also likes riding in it with the top down. He sticks his hand out the window to catch the wind. Kids are great!!!
John
Old 08-12-2001, 04:32 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Kids in the garage

My son is 3 and loves to work on the "co'vet". He has been helping me work on the 68'. My daughter is 1, but when she's old enough I hope she helps out as well. Have to keep the hobby alive. :hat
Old 08-12-2001, 04:42 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I took my daughters' brownie scout troop and my son's cub troop to show them oil changes and tire checking in my garage about 10 years ago...kids had a blast...
jacked the car up and showed them brakes, suspension, steering, engines, the works....
my kids have seen many an engine on a stand, everything from boats to cars,

GENE :D :jester
Old 08-12-2001, 05:28 AM
bluevette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 8 year old son helped me change my motor mounts today. I took him to the store with me and bought his first socket set. He just loves to get greasy with me on the vette.

John
Old 08-12-2001, 09:11 AM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

My son spent a lot of time in the garage. He even persuaded me to loan him the money to buy a nice 78 Vette. Not to be outdone I bought a real nice 80. His hormones kicked in and he fell in love (teenagers). Decided he did not want the 78, I gleefully took it over and wound up with two Vettes. I asked him what he was driving in the Woodward Cruise and then I told him "oh I forgot you are married". I figure that he will return to the garage in a few years. I saved a recliner for him to sit in the garage with me. Roger L. Gibbons, 1978 TPI and a 1980 [IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-12-2001, 11:28 AM
Juliet
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Kids in the garage (Roger L. Gibbons)

My daughter comes out to help. She doesn't like getting dirty (what did I do wrong!?!?!?) so she'll only help with 'clean' stuff. She's a great tool gopher and she helped me with my antennae install a few weeks ago. Greg was out of town and I needed someone under the car (me) and someone above the car (her) at the same time. I couldn't have done it without her! :D We finally got past the 'Mommy wrench, Daddy wrench, Baby wrench' thing and are into the math thing now (7/8, 3/4 etc...). :hat
Old 08-12-2001, 11:40 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: Kids in the garage (Juliet)

My 2 1/2 year old is alway in the garage helping dad work on the vette. Puts a wrench on everything and tries to turn it. Brings me everything if I ask for it or not, hehehe. He can point out a vette, hot rod or muscle car and tell you what it is for the most part. Man I love him.
Neil in Tenn
Old 08-12-2001, 12:02 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Kids in the garage (Nomad78SA)

Hey, I know that little guy! :yesnod: Tell Seth I said hello.

Dave
Old 08-12-2001, 12:06 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Kids in the garage (Nomad78SA)

My boys are 12 and 15 and could not have any less interest in working on a car. If they are playing basketball in the driveway I have to close the garage door so the ball doesnt bounce off the corvette. :mad: If I need an extra pair of hands for something I have once or twice been able to get some help by screaming very loudly and promising it would take no longer than 30 seconds. MJ
Old 08-12-2001, 12:21 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Grandaughter LOVES The Vette, but she is also real partial to the Harley. She wants a Red Helmet though. :hat

[Modified by 78Vette-SA, 11:21 AM 8/12/2001]
Old 08-12-2001, 01:18 PM
tsw71
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When my oldest son was 1-2, I would take the playpen out in the garage so I could spend time with him while wrenching. By the age of 3, he could identify heads, intakes, carbs, cranckshafts, ect...... Now that he is 7 and his brother is 5, it is getting difficult to keep track of my tools. They are always taking their toys apart and even manage to get them back together sometimes. They use my floor jack and jackstand to work on their Fisher Price Power Wheels. I guess it won’t be long before they help me work on my “big toys”. I have my oldest son bring me tools when I’m under the car. I had tried this a few years ago while working on my wifes Mustang. I heard a boom boom boom boom. I turned around to see him hitting the side of the car with my large rubber mallet. :smash: :smash: :smash: Needless to say, the kids are not allowed around the Vette while the tools are out. :eek: :smash: :smash: :eek:

Tom
Old 08-12-2001, 01:48 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

A good way to get kids to "think mechanical" is to let them take things apart, while you help & watch.

I started my stepson out on a broken VCR that we stripped apart and, as we were doing it, lots of questions and simple explanations on what did what. I didn't expect him to try and put it back together because that was beyond his grasp at 7 yr.

I'd like to get a crap V8 from a junk yard, don't care if it works or not, for him to tear apart and learn about engines when he is a little older, maybe 13-14 yr.
Old 08-12-2001, 05:06 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Very :cool: :D
Old 08-12-2001, 06:02 PM
kostutsman
Instructor

This was his first - it is not the vette but I had to start hime on something easy.

kos

Get notified of new replies

To Kids in the garage

Old 08-12-2001, 06:40 PM
The Wanderer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Kids in the garage

When I had a place out in the country ... I had a turkey named Amanda and 8 chickens that would come into the garage and watch me work on the car. They would all just squat and watch :lol: :lol: :lol: Amanda (the turkey) thought she was a dog... would come running at top speed when she heard me coming up the drive when I came home from work.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:34 PM
slide
Racer

Hey I'm glad to see that there will be another generation of motor heads coming of age in the next, well couple of years. Hopefully these kids will keep the older cars away from the "GRIM CRUSHER" Keep the garage stories comming.
Slide
Old 08-12-2001, 10:37 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Kids in the garage (kostutsman)

This was his first - it is not the vette but I had to start hime on something easy.

kos
:lol: :lol: :lol: !!!! What is that, a bug? MJ

Quick Reply: Kids in the garage