C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 11:59 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth?

84,900 miles with original white paint. There are some touchups on the nose. The interior needs work. The door panels aren't perfect, the vinyl part of the console is starting to come apart, and the carpet should be replaced. He claims that the speedometer cable just broke 200 miles ago (I know, be wary, but I met him at a church car show and he seemed to be an upstanding member of the congration). All the rubber seals look to be in fair condition. Now, what's good. The original engine was rebuit, balanced, and blueprinted 3000 miles ago. The transmission is rebuilt with a shift kit. It has a new radiator and suspension, although, after a cursory look around the car, it looks like it needs some of the rubber bushings. It also has the original rims with new TA radials. It has air, but is disconnected. The headlights open and close properly. He wants $7500. What should I offer him?
Old 08-12-2001, 12:17 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth? (The_Dude)

Not bad, if thats what you want, get it. Maybe start at $6000.00
Old 08-12-2001, 09:55 PM
tnt76vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems a bit much....2 summers ago I bought my '76 L-48 for $8,500 w/immmaculate white leather seats, white doors panels, etc. Everything worked (AC, Clock, etc.) and still does....car had 48K miles on it then and has 52K now....Only work I've had to do was change the fuel pump....all other mods were at my option....7K tops I would say....cosmetic mods can get expensive... :cheers:
Old 08-12-2001, 09:56 PM
vettetester
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth? (tnt76vette)

somewhere between 5 and 7 sounds right
Old 08-12-2001, 11:25 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth? (vettetester)

that might not be such a bad price... The engine work is worth $2500 by itself. A running 76 will bring $5000 in most any condition.

Rebuilding the interior will run about $2500. Means you need to have around $10k laying around for this one.

This one in the pic was bought for $5000 and needed both engine and interior.

Old 08-13-2001, 10:43 AM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a nickel over $5000. No disrespect meant to you, your friend, or your church, but a used car is a used car is a box of question marks. Why did the motor and tranny need to be rebuilt at 80k miles? Properly maintained, they'd just be well broken in at that mileage. Balanced & blueprinted? I doubt it. That's a cool, easy thing to say and impossible to prove or disprove without a teardown. I'd have to see receipts from a local shop, which I would call, before I'd believe it. There's not more than 1 guy in 10 who would pay to have a stock engine rebuilt with all the labor charges of a good blueprint. Guys will put their money into better heads, bigger cam, etc., before they'll pay to blueprint a stocker.

AC disconnected? That means it doesn't work. New suspension? But it needs bushings? You're joking, right? Who would replace the suspension without chaning the bushings? The bushings ARE the suspension!

You're in Oregon, right? Coastal or desert? If coastal, then I'm certain any original calipers on a '76 are ready to be replaced with SS sleeved units. The humid air puts water in the brake fluid faster. With pads, hoses, fluid, etc., figure on $500-$600, plus labor.

Any info on rear wheel bearing service? Those should have been lubed every 25-30K miles, but probably haven't been. Pair of rebuilt trailing arms with new bearing assemblies professionally installed, SS park brakes, and new rotors tuned for near-zero runout: figure $700-$800, plus labor.

Sorry - I don't mean to be hyper critical - just wouldn't want to see you do something you'll regret.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2001, 12:32 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

I have to agree with what others have already said. This does not sound like a car that has been babied by any means and it needs several 1000's of work that is really routine; at minimum. If the paint is not great add another several thousand. $5000 would be more in the ball park but before you buy do the math and then only buy if you love this particular car. My personal preference is for a car that has been reasonably well maintained and has not been modified unless it is really a first class job. Then at least you know what you are getting- an old car that needs restoration.
Old 08-13-2001, 02:48 PM
The_Dude
Team Owner

Received 473 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16-'17

Default Re: I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth? (Gator81)

The owner did have all receipts, and the work was done by a local mechanic, so it all should be verifiable. He also said that he had SS calipers put on the car. My big problem with the car is that my left arm is partially paralyzed from a motorcycle accident last year, and it doesn't have power windows.
Old 08-13-2001, 07:55 PM
R. Bruno
Drifting

I would hold out for exactly what you want. I have a 76 and especially if you are willing to get a mid 70's which are not particularly popular you can be choosy. Check; Collectorcartrader.com You will see plenty of cars in the 7500 range. If you really want this one, make him an offer that is fair based on what you see there and what you know it needs.

Get notified of new replies

To I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth?

Quick Reply: I found a '76 L82, what do you think it's worth?