C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tight/loose are rockers supposed to be

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 02:21 AM
AussieVette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How tight/loose are rockers supposed to be

Just curious how tight the rocker arms are supposed to be bolted onto the studs. I'm taking factory original rocker arms here.

One thing I did notice when I had the valve covers off yesterday, was that all the rocker arms felt loose with a little play in them when I touched them. When I put a torque wrench onto them, they were so loose they would not even register on the wrench's 10 foot pounds minimum level.

Is something wrong here?
Old 08-12-2001, 02:37 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: How tight/loose are rockers supposed to be (AussieVette)

You must have a hydro cam. To set them and everyone has a idea. It also depends on the amount of oil pressure, oil weight, typical operating temp, and if they are some fast bleed off lifters.

When a valve rocker is at it's loosest position. Tighten the nut until it's hard to rotate the push rod between your finger and your thumb. I always had good pressure motors @65 lbs above 2500 rpm. So I never felt the need to go the extra 1/4 or 1/2 turn more. I never bent a push rod even in 7000 rpm and they always ran quiet.

Quick Reply: How tight/loose are rockers supposed to be