C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

goin' to look at at 78 tomorrow:dealer is accepting offers: need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 02:55 AM
Roger76
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goin' to look at at 78 tomorrow:dealer is accepting offers: need advice.

A local dealer has a '78 Anniv. vette that I will check out in detail tomorrow. It has been repainted (black- paint is pretty decent). It has about 80K miles on it and the interior shows significant wear.

Sign on the window sez "all offers considered", so I'm gonna try and lowball them and see what happens.

Anything to watch out for? I'm looking for ammunition here to use against the salesperson and to show 'em I'm savvy about what the car's really worth. What would you do in my position?

Old 08-13-2001, 03:33 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: goin' to look at at 78 tomorrow:dealer is accepting offers: need advice. (Roger76)

Roger,

As a suggestion, check out the link below:
http://www.sharkwerkes.com/sharktank/tech2/tech2.html

You'ff find several articles on inspecting your shark.

Also, you may want to read a story I wrote on my web site called Corvette Lust.
http://home.hvc.rr.com/joesvette/corvette_lust.htm

It's a little embarrasing when I read it now. I learned a few lessons the hard way, but glad I did.
Old 08-13-2001, 12:42 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: goin' to look at at 78 tomorrow:dealer is accepting offers: need advice. (Roger76)

The first thing I'd do is look for rust in the trailing arm pockets ahead of the rear wheels and around the windsheild frame. If they'll let you, I'd take a screwdriver with you and unscrew the kick panels--rust flakes from a rotting winshield frame support will gather there, and that's another common sort of rust problem.

If it's sound that way, I'd look for relatively easy to fix stuff to use push the price down. Look underneath at the backs of the wheels and look for wet spots or streaks that would indicate leaking brake calipers (OEM vette brakes tend to leak). Look at the pavement under the car for oil and tranny leaks--if you spot one, shake your head and say something like, "Jeez, looks like she's really bleeding there." Look for aftermarket crap under the hood (air cleaner, valve covers, etc.) and mutter, "Oh, that's not original." Start the car and see if the lights will go up and down--a LOT of the cars for sale I looked at had either slow-functioning or non-functioning vacuum headlights, and while it's not hard to fix, I'll bet the seller doesn't know that. Take your time, point out every little flaw the car has. Talk about other cars you've looked at and how much better shape they were in. Then lowball him. Works for me! :D

JB

'78SA

Get notified of new replies

To goin' to look at at 78 tomorrow:dealer is accepting offers: need advice.

Quick Reply: goin' to look at at 78 tomorrow:dealer is accepting offers: need advice.