C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Change front Shocks/Dampers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 08:24 AM
xrated
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to Change front Shocks/Dampers?

I have 4 new shocks for my 72. Can anyone outline the order in which the front susp should be dismantled?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2001, 09:50 AM
AD2VET
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default Re: How to Change front Shocks/Dampers? (xrated)

If you're just replacing the shocks, all you need to do is to remove the two bottom bolts holding the shock to the lower control arm,from underneath the car. Then remove the nut on the top of the shock, from top. The shaft on the top of the shock has a flattened end that accepts a special tool that is slotted to fit of the shock shaft to prevent it from turning while loosening the nut. Reverse the process to install. Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-2001, 11:09 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: How to Change front Shocks/Dampers? (AD2VET)

I didn't use a special tool for the top shaft. I used a small (7/32 I think) open end wrench to hold the shaft while you loosen the nut. Worked fine.

On my front end rebuild, the disassembly order I used was shocks, sway bar, calipers, rotors, disconnected the ball joints and tie rods, remove spindle/sterring knuckle assembly, remove coil spring then upper and lower CA's. I replaced the ball joints after I removed the control arms(A-arms). Support the vehicle well and use a chain when removing the coil spring.

Good luck.
Len

Get notified of new replies

To How to Change front Shocks/Dampers?

Quick Reply: How to Change front Shocks/Dampers?