C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator shorted out. Where are the fusible links?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 06:07 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Alternator shorted out. Where are the fusible links?

I was polishing my alternator. A red wire that goes into the top of the alternator came loose. It hit the body of the alternator and began to short. There was smoke, and then I lost all power. My oil gauge is pegged. The car is dead.

Does anyone know where the fusible links are? I noticed two wires coming off the starter, and they had large white caps on them, with 15 or 16 scribed on the white caps. I think I smelled something here as well. Are these the links? How are they replaced?

As info, All the fuses on the fuse panel look okay.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:15 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Default Re: Alternator shorted out. Where are the fusible links? (joeveto)

I don't have a wiring diagram of the '77 but have the diagram for '73 on my web site. It may help some, don't see there being that much difference in them.

tom...
Old 08-14-2001, 08:35 PM
dogboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

b I did the same thing about a year ago and fried the fusible link. Yes they are the ones at the starter. No big deal to repair. just get the same size and you should be up and running again. Scares the heck out of ya though when they smoke up like that.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:04 AM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I noticed two wires coming off the starter, and they had large white caps on them, with 15 or 16 scribed on the white caps. I think I smelled something here as well. Are these the links? How are they replaced?"

Yep, these are the links. You can get new link wire from your local GM dealer, and probably NAPA as well. Get a long enough piece of wire to do three.(That's how many are on my '81, since one of the factory links actually then divided into two wires) Cut off old link wire, and solder new link wire in and cover with heat shrink tubbing. Don't use connectors only, really want to have a very good conncection for these link wires.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:32 PM
Johns vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Alternator shorted out. Where are the fusible links? (john's '81 mouse)

On my 76 I had one go which was located under the power brake booster. What a pain,no room to work!
Old 08-15-2001, 04:51 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Thanks guys. I hope this is the issue. I just got the car running again, and I really don't want to be chasing electrical gremlins and burnt out parts. The wire that caused the problem is going to receive a fuse, so I'll hopefully never have to deal with this again.

Thanks again for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator shorted out. Where are the fusible links?

Quick Reply: Alternator shorted out. Where are the fusible links?