C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 corvette minor restoration

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 04:05 AM
c5vette98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1978 corvette minor restoration

Car info:
1978 L-82, 4spd. rock crusher, silver anniversary paint
Hey, I have some questions for you guys. Here it goes...

1) what is the color name of my interior? I have a silver anniversary, the interior is sorta an ivoryish color i guess. I am wondering what the color name is.

2) anyone know any corvette restoration websites priced to compete with this website? The prices here are pretty good, just curious if you guys know of any other sites.

3) my tach is broken, how do i know if it is the circuit board or something else

4) when you floor the car the speedo is less then accurate, it sorta jumps up and down after you hit for, the 40 + speeds aren't to accurate while flooring, it's like the speedo can't keep up with the speed....any reason?

5) my air conditioning and heater don't work, what should I check to diagnose where the problem is?

6) the little ***** to control the manual side mirrors is rusty, anyone know what this part is called and where to get new ones? i couldn't find them on this site.

7) T-Tops are sorta yellowish on the bottom, anyone know a good way to restore them to the original white/ivory color?

8) the paint on the hood has some sorta odd brown specs that i think are in the paint.....anyone else have this problem?

Just so you know, otherwise the car is in great shape, it's really minor stuff, just from being kept in an unairconditioned florida garage for it's 23 years of life. Any answers would be awesome.

Thanks,
:conehead Eddie :conehead
-newbie to the board
Old 08-15-2001, 04:26 AM
c5vette98
Advanced

Default Re: 1978 corvette minor restoration (c5vette98)

i could also use a new shift boot....if any of you have any of these parts and are willing to sell them email me... eddie126@bellsouth.net

:cheers:
Old 08-15-2001, 04:58 AM
c5vette98
Advanced

^
Old 08-15-2001, 06:53 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car info:

:cool: Nice combo.

1) what is the color name of my interior? I have a silver anniversary, the interior is sorta an ivoryish color i guess. I am wondering what the color name is.

Oyster. I you check inside the door jam at the front of the drivers door, you should see codes such as 13 /07 (upper silver lower Grey for the SA Paint) and probably 122 for Oyster Leather interior. Same as mine.

2) anyone know any corvette restoration websites priced to compete with this website? The prices here are pretty good, just curious if you guys know of any other sites.

Not sure what you mean. There are many part suppliers out there and many of us have websites with lots of resto info.
http://home.hvc.rr.com/joesvette/

3) my tach is broken, how do i know if it is the circuit board or something else

Check the wiring coming from the distrbutor first (I think the brown wire). OTher than that, you will need more help then I can give on that one.

4) when you floor the car the speedo is less then accurate, it sorta jumps up and down after you hit for, the 40 + speeds aren't to accurate while flooring, it's like the speedo can't keep up with the speed....any reason?

I would check the speedo cable running to the tranny. I have seen other posts on this topic though. Others may have more info.

5) my air conditioning and heater don't work, what should I check to diagnose where the problem is?

I would first check the water lines running from the water pump and block back to the evaporator (you have to look from underneath the car. Also check to make sure the vacumm shut off valve is working (tucked down in in front of the gray evaporator housing inside the engine compartment). There should be a white vacuum line running to it. MAke sure it's hoooked up. Have the A/C system checked for leaks and make sure it's loaded up. And also check the switch inside and make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. It swicthes off of the engine vacuum.

6) the little ***** to control the manual side mirrors is rusty, anyone know what this part is called and where to get new ones? i couldn't find them on this site.

I'll check my catalogs when I get home later today if no one else has found them for you.

7) T-Tops are sorta yellowish on the bottom, anyone know a good way to restore them to the original white/ivory color?

You can replace the liner on the inside of the T-Tops. You might want to try a product called Bleech-White. Test it in a small area first.

8) the paint on the hood has some sorta odd brown specs that i think are in the paint.....anyone else have this problem?

no

Just so you know, otherwise the car is in great shape, it's really minor stuff, just from being kept in an unairconditioned florida garage for it's 23 years of life. Any answers would be awesome.

Congrats on a beautiful car!!! :D :D :D

Thanks,
:conehead Eddie :conehead
-newbie to the board
Old 08-15-2001, 07:02 AM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Eddie

Welcome to the Forum!

Some answers to the easy questions... The colour sounds like it must be Oyster. It's almost white, but as you say, ivory-ish! The trim tag should be 122 if it is leather and 12C if it has the cloth inserts.

The interior of our car was pretty "grim" when we first got it. I think my wife used bleach on the inside of the T tops! But, I have found that Eagle One Spot Remover is excellent. Best to have the tops out of course, and spray on and wait a few seconds for it to take effect. I should add that it is not unusual for the colour to fade to a yellower shade... I think if it is too far gine replacement is th eonly option......

Re the tack, check the distributor end connections, and the "filter" that is in the circuit there. They go bad, and you could try by-passing it, as the wires may be here to do that? (it may be an idea to get hold of a Assembly Instruction Manual?) Again, I had soem trouble with the tach and it was these connections.

For the Mirror ****, check out Zip, Mid America or Ecklers, but I think you'll finnd that it comes as part of the entire mirror assembly. Some "wire wool" may work to clean it up.

The paint may be a symton of old age I'm affraid! The SA paint is not enowned for its long term durability!

Hope this is of some use!

Regards
I have no experience of other bord prices I'm affraid
Old 08-15-2001, 08:15 AM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: 1978 corvette minor restoration (Stephen Irons)

Wecome to the forum also Eddie,
I too have a 78 SA and will be glad to look up any info when I get home from work today. Getting ready to go now to work. Man, this place can be addicting.Hope to see some pic's of your ride soon.
Neil in Tenn
Old 08-15-2001, 02:27 PM
Purplerainz
Melting Slicks

make a "to do list, then go for it . :D
Old 08-15-2001, 02:31 PM
c5vette98
Advanced

thanks alot everyone, gald i found this forum....i'm going to go check the car in a little and start working on it...

-Eddie
Old 08-15-2001, 04:46 PM
fauxrs
Le Mans Master

Car info:
Rock crusher, wow did a previous owner install that?, the rock crusher muncie is quite a bit more stout than the factory ST10, even the close ratio one. One possibility, is it possible someone just fed you that piece of information the RPO code is similar, but I thinkthe last year the rock crusher was available on anything was 1971 or 2, and even then it might have been only a big block item (not sure about that last tidbit)

3) my tach is broken, how do i know if it is the circuit board or something else...
These have all been answered

4) when you floor the car the speedo is less then accurate, it sorta jumps up and down after you hit for, the 40 + speeds aren't to accurate while flooring, it's like the speedo can't keep up with the speed....any reason?...
This is almost certainly a binding speedo cable, it can be lubricated with a white lithium lubricant, or the cable can be replaced (most replacement cables come prelubed. Check for wear in the cable housing under the car, when I replaced my cable for the new Autometer gauges, I found a huge hole in my housing under the car.

hope it all helps....oh BTW welcom to the forum....dont forget to join the 1978 registry - see my signature
Old 08-15-2001, 05:17 PM
Ace77
Racer

Not mentioned yet, but I think you need to know that there is no such thing as a "minor restoration". Kind of like "military intelligence".

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 corvette minor restoration

Quick Reply: 1978 corvette minor restoration