C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2001, 03:13 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container?

My steering system is starting to make a noise when I turn which I know is due to low power steering fluid....unfortunatly I don't really know where the container is. I located something that could be it sitting underneath my alternator on the driver side of the car on the front of the engine. There is a belt going from the crank to that "thing"...so I suppose its that. I just want to make sure with you guy before.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:16 PM
Sleestak
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (Lohkay)

That's it.
Old 08-15-2001, 03:17 PM
robzr
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (Lohkay)

That is the puppy! Looks like a banjo and it's black with a cap on top. I have yet to delve into my PS system (I will need to soon), but that is your resivor. I believe the cap has a dipstick on it too.

Rob
Old 08-15-2001, 03:25 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (robzr)

That's funny! I just spent the last half hour under the front of my car staring up at the power steering trying to figure out what was leaking! I think it's the pressure and/or return hose. The other hoses look new. I know you are supposed to rebuild the whole thing, but I gotta try this first!!

BTW, it is very easy to access the p/s reservoir if you remove the alternator first !! (true, but just kidding! ) It can be kind of hard to get at, and I certainly need a funnel with hose attached to add p/s fluid. MJ
Old 08-15-2001, 04:24 PM
1LE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The unit is underneath the alternator. You should be able to open the cap but you wont be able to take it off completely unless you move or remove the alternator. The funnel with a hose works well, be sure not to over fill resivor. If you do, you could have fluid runnig out as you turn and spraying all over the engine bay.
Old 08-15-2001, 04:50 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (1LE)

Great! maybe I ain't that stupid afterall. :D
Old 08-15-2001, 04:54 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Moving or removing the alternator, to obtain acess to the power steering pump, isn't a bad idea, and it's really easy. Just make sure you don't fry your fusible links, like I did...
Old 08-15-2001, 04:55 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (1LE)

You don't need to move or remove the alternator to remove the cap and dipstick. Losen cap and drag it out the side toward the radiator.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:04 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It's not really a stupid question. That thing is hidden pretty good under the alternator.
Old 08-15-2001, 09:41 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I do not have any difficulty getting the top off to check the fluid level. Do note that there is a cold and hot level. For getting fluid in, it is time for the old stand-by: a turkey baster.
Old 08-15-2001, 10:18 PM
a smith
Pro

Some cars you can get the cap off and some(like mine) you cannot.Ganey gave out the number on a belt that is one inch longer.I put that in and now have more than enought room to take the cap off.If I did not do it before, Thanks A Lot Ganey! :yesnod:
Old 08-15-2001, 11:20 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (a smith)

Bah I stopped at my local parts shop and bought a 2' hose and poured some fluid in it w/o removing the cap...everything worked out fine and my vette psychicly told me that it was enough....and now it runs fine. :D
Old 08-15-2001, 11:46 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I am curious. How did you get the fluid in a closed system without pouring it in the reservoir and letting it circulate?
Old 08-15-2001, 11:51 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Default Re: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container? (paul79)

I did pour it in the reservoir....unscrew the cap...even if you can't get it off, just move it aside enough to let the hose pass and there ya go.

Get notified of new replies

To I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container?

Quick Reply: I feel stupid....where is the powersteering fluid container?