C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I performed a pressure test on my 700R4 today and called Bowtie Overdrives to confirm results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2001, 11:07 PM
MIKER
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default I performed a pressure test on my 700R4 today and called Bowtie Overdrives to confirm results.

Here are the results obtained based on the BTO directions provided with the 300 psi gauge:
_____Pressure @ idle,________Pressure @ idle,______Pressure at high idle,
_____T.V. disconnected_______Minimum T.V.________Full T.V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Park________72_______________72_________ ________180

Reverse_____135______________135________ ________240

Neutral______72_______________72________ _________180

Overdrive____72_______________72________ _________180

Third________72_______________72________ _________180

Second______180______________180________ ________180

First________N/A______________N/A_________________N/A
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

After calling BTO, I was referred to a guy named Chris. They said he was the “transmission pressure guy”.
Chris said that the pressure values that I reported sounded fine to him. He asked me to pull ~1/16 of an inch on the T.V. cable to see if there was an immediate indication of pressure increase on the gauge and there was. That was just another indication that the T.V. cable was adjusted correctly.
I told him that my 1-2 shift was WAY too soft and he recommended having the transmission shop increase the pressure by replacing the throttle valve with a different one.
I am going to increase the pressure more but at least I know now that I’m not doing any damage to my transmission due to too low of pressure for now.

I hope that this information will be usefull to someone in the future. (archive filler!)

(does anyone know of an easy way to post a "table" on the forum?) :rolleyes:
Old 08-17-2001, 12:28 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: I performed a pressure test

Thanks for the info, I'm about a day or two behind you for initial readings. It may be a while before I get to do the road test. :smash: (guess I'll need to put at least the driver's seat in it soon. :lol:

Glad your test went well. From what I have read, you should be able to change the soft shift by adjusting the TV cable. :confused: Maybe someone can educate us on it. Steve at BTO indicated that the shift personality was a function of tv adjustment.

Dave

[Modified by Rolling Thunder, 10:30 PM 8/16/2001]
Old 08-17-2001, 05:28 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: I performed a pressure test on my 700R4

I will admit I really don't know a whole lot about auto trannies...but over the years I have heard that Trans-Go will actually REDUCE the line pressures while increasing firmness on shift....as it's handled in differant ways like accumulator mods, etc....reduced line pressures make seals last longer, I"d think...anyway....
not to mention pump life and operating efficiency/cooling....

but this thing of the TV in a 700r4 is a newbie to me,....so I"m not so sure about them...seems strange to be modulating pressures with a TV cable/valve...

GENE

Get notified of new replies

To I performed a pressure test on my 700R4 today and called Bowtie Overdrives to confirm results.

Quick Reply: I performed a pressure test on my 700R4 today and called Bowtie Overdrives to confirm results.