C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chambered Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 10:24 AM
tommyleea
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chambered Exhaust

Has anyone used the chambered exhaust on their C3? It is a true dual from engine back. No converters, and no mufflers. I would like to get this exhaust, but am wondering if the noise would be prohibitive for any long drives? The one I am looking at is made by Walker. It is pictured in Mid America catalog. Any thoughts? I have a 77L48. TIA....
Old 05-07-2006, 10:36 AM
71redskin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the system on my 71BB and you can have a normal conversation at cruise. but you floor it! and heads will turn...i love mine
Old 05-07-2006, 11:02 AM
VETFOR4
Racer

Have them on my '70. Went from '69 side exhaust to the chambered
, love it! Sound out the back now, not 2 feet from the ears.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:03 AM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have time, go to some Vette shows and listen to different mufflers, most owners don't mind showing off their exhaust. Exhaust sound really can't be picked out of a catalog, there is a risk of being disapointed and compromising after you have made the time and investment. I've always been a fan of chambered systems, had them back when they were OEM on Chevelle's and Camaro's. But the OEM systems are gone and there are many different manufacturers today, and each one sounds different, some are quiet others are very loud. My current Vette has an Allen's chambered exhust. It's the closest sound reproduction of the old Chevy undercar systems I've heard. He has differerent muffler styles and combos.

http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/
Old 05-07-2006, 12:30 PM
MRANT212
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by 71redskin
i have the system on my 71BB and you can have a normal conversation at cruise. but you floor it! and heads will turn...i love mine
I have a 71 BB too but with a relatively new factory style exhaust system... You may be making me get the checkbook and out and do some changes. I am sure it sounds great just dont know if I should change now or wait till later..much later...aint getting rid of this car!!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I got em on mine.. 2.5" header back..

I'm now partly deaf at age 23

which is good because now I dont have to listen to my mothers constant bitching
Old 05-07-2006, 04:02 PM
mr. creosote
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Love It!!!

I've had chambered exhaust from Mid America on my '70 L-46 vert for more than a year now and simply LOVE it! As previously said, I have no problems having a normal conversation at cruising speed. Wind noise from being in a convertible is much louder in my car. However, you (and anyone in the vicinity ) definitely hear that V8 rumbling during acceleration. The only problem I've had was having to weld the sections together to get rid of popping.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:14 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

I bought a set from MAD about 3 years ago. They gave me a few minutes figuring out how to install since they didn't come with directions. But once I got the correct idea I had them installed in less than 1 hour. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

just fired mine up.. after about a year or so.. If you do have headers... you wont like them

this exhaust system is LOUD
Old 05-07-2006, 08:05 PM
rodesmg
Instructor

i just installed the 2.5 chamber exhaust from mid america, on my 76 L48 with ram horn and it was LOUD. i then order their twin tip mufflers, and those along with the chamber, i ended up with a very nice sound. now my 76 sound like a vette should--- MEAN
Old 05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
BacaBill
Racer

I've got the Stage II on my '79 from http://www.allencorvetteexhaustsystems.com/ .
I originally found him on Ebay but did the transaction over the phone. At idle, is sounds like a nice rumble. When I hit the gas, it turns heads but it's not obnoxious.
Old 05-07-2006, 11:56 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased sweet thunder chambered exhaust (chamber only 30") and used them for side exhaust and it is way too loud for side exhaust. A side from setting off car alarms it rings your ears sitting at a stop light and accelerating… the only way to get away from the noise is top break the speed of sound.

maybe if you had the whole system and it is sticking out the back it would be a little better but i don't think much. I also purchased an extra 14" chambered section to put in there but I think it would still be too noisy.

I just might switch to turbo baffles.

Jim
Old 05-08-2006, 07:34 AM
carbster09
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Love the exhaust - X pipe fitment?

I love my exhaust; although it is loud! However for a toy it is just fine. My question is how does one fit a proper x - pipe to it? Any ideas or photos again?

carbster
Old 05-08-2006, 07:53 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 71redskin
Old 05-08-2006, 08:47 AM
jimmygmartin
Racer

I have them and they are loud !! My engine however is somewhat beyond mildly modified, I added a pair of bullet competion mufflers and brought the sound to an acceptable level. Mid Americas price is very good even if you decide to add mufflers. From what I'm told they are O.K. on a mildly modified engine without mufflers. I'd go for it !!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 AM
tommyleea
Racer

[QUOTE=jimmygmartin]I have them and they are loud !! ] Ok..My shop is next to the road. If I am on my cell phone outside my shop, and you go down the road (accelerating) past my shop, will I be able to carry on a phone conversation. There are vehicles that go by and make an annoying crackling/cacking sound and you can't hear squat on the phone. I don't want that kind of loud. Is it more of a rumble???? Thanks for all the inputs.

Get notified of new replies

To Chambered Exhaust

Quick Reply: Chambered Exhaust