C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 08:57 PM
AussieVette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!!

Well I picked up the Corvette yesterday and it is running like a dream although I will need to adjust the mixture and the level of the accelerator pedal. It's now almost at the floor and doesn't have a lot of movement so I can't open it right up.

I had a good look at the old heads and you could see 3 or 4 repairs in each head. After the sand blasting it was easy to see where the repairs were in the face of the heads, and in a couple of cases running into the chambers and even down through the valve seats. Very scary.

There were varying thickness inserts in the valve guides, different brand head gaskets on either side. The vavles were all terribly worn and the one that was stuck looked shocking. Huge pits and channels worn into it's stem and it was also very visibly bent, and had been hit by the piston.

But it could have been worse I suppose. When I picked up my car there was a very nice '63 split window up on the hoist that had water in the oil, and they'd just found big cracks in the block.

Anyway, I took the car home, picked up the appropriate paper work and took it down to the cop shop for it's annual inspection. The inspection went very well and the officer loved the car and said it was one of the nicest Corvettes he'd ever seen or driven and spent quite a lot of time talking to me about the car.

I did get picked up on 2 items though. Rear gear box seal around the tail shaft was leaking oil and needs to be replaced, and 2 power steering hoses have been rubbing together and have worn and cracked their rubber coating at that point. But lucky for me he passed it anyway. He said that because it is in such good condition overall and that I'd just spent so much on the heads, he'd give me a break as he knew I'd get those items fixed up soon enough.

Well I'm relieved and very happy it passed. I can get on with my life now, and have been given strict instructions from my mechanic to use the car more often, as it sitting for long spells wasn't doing it any good. Can't really argue with that solution

I only put about 2,000 miles on it in the last 12 months so I'll look at, at least doubling that. After telling the wife she immediately suggested that she starts to take it places every now and then. Hmmm....

[Modified by AussieVette, 7:58 AM 8/24/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 09:02 PM
Red73
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!! (AussieVette)

:cheers:
Old 08-23-2001, 09:03 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!! (Red73)

good deal :D
Old 08-23-2001, 11:14 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine safety checked today also! I know how you feel !!! I had to get my cracked windsheild fixed and that took a little shopping around over the past month. I had the windsheild put in this morning and went directly to the inspection place just so nothing else would break before I got a chance to get there. As soon as they put the sticker on, a guy in the front of the car said "Oh, I didn't notice you have a huge nail in your tire" Thank goodness they were already done and I had my paperwork, also that it was the front tire as they are getting replaced in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-24-2001, 01:46 AM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sheridan,is that your vette advertised in just cars?..if it is,are you getting much response?........john :chevy
Old 08-24-2001, 02:55 AM
AussieVette
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!! (jdunne)

John, yes that is my car advertised in Just Cars. I've had two calls for it so far, of which I've referred them onto my web page to see the pictures.

I've had pretty good responses with that magazine in the past too. I find that just as many people who used to buy Unique Cars buy Just Cars now as it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to advertise your car (free).

Besides there's no real need to buy Unique Cars any more seeing as though you can see all the adverts for free online at http://www.carpoint.com.au
Old 08-24-2001, 03:04 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did get picked up on 2 items though. Rear gear box seal around the tail shaft was leaking oil and needs to be replaced, and 2 power steering hoses have been rubbing together and have worn and cracked their rubber coating at that point. But lucky for me he passed it anyway.
Good GOD!! Talk about ****! I'm amazed at the mentality that could consider the tailshaft seal on a tranny to be a safety item. Granted, I would replace it, but holy cow, I would flip out if someone failed me on a safety inspection for something like that.

Glad to hear the car is running better.
Old 08-24-2001, 03:07 AM
jdunne
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hope you do well selling......the prices seem way too low,but experience tells me that you dont buy a c3 for its investment return.....john :chevy

Get notified of new replies

To Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!!

Quick Reply: Got the car back, and had the inspection. PASSED!!!