C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 11:17 PM
Dwaynes69BB
Burning Brakes

Location: I can explain it to you, but I can't comprehend it for ya.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!!

I just installed a Robert Shaw/Stewart 180 degree balanced stat. Boy did that ever cool my big block down. She idled for 10min. in the drivway before the gauge even though about moving form 100 degrees. It took about 20 mins. (idleing) to heat up to about 170.
I'm guessing that this is going to be too cold to actually run it this way...
and comments??

[Modified by Dwaynes69BB, 10:19 PM 8/23/2001]
Old 08-23-2001, 11:24 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!! (Dwaynes69BB)

I am a small block guy but I think during normal driving you will be fine. Idling dosen't create the kind of heat that stop and go driving will. I may be wrong but it sounds like you have got a good cooling system now. Did you engine overheat before you installed the new themo??
John
Old 08-24-2001, 12:13 AM
Dwaynes69BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!! (theandies)

It never really did what you would call overheating. It always ran around 180-190 until I installed the weatherstripping at the rear of the hood. Then it ran at 210 when the temp was around 90 outside. I thought for 10 bucks the Robert Shaw/Stewart termostat was a cheap try to get temp back down a few degrees. boy did it ever. I'm still thinking I should put the old stat back in.
I just don't think it would ever come up to normal temp while driving with the trick stat...

[Modified by Dwaynes69BB, 11:14 PM 8/23/2001]
Old 08-24-2001, 12:37 AM
Jim-K
Racer

Default Re: WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!! (Dwaynes69BB)

If it takes that long to get up to temp... jeez, it almost sounds like the TS is stuck open. There's lots of debate at what temp is optimal, I would be happy with 180-190 like you had. Thats a plenty compfy temp. If you're running 210 in hot weather, and you're cooling system is keeping it there, i dont think thats much to worry about. If you can't keep it below 225 on the extreme conditions (traffic in 112 weather), then you'd have a problem. Seems normal to me. You dont want to run you're engine too cool either. I'm not an expert on that subject but have heard things like cool oil temp does not lube well, and you increase engine wear from running too cool. Not to mention 20 mins of warm up time would be major annoying.

Jim-K
Old 08-24-2001, 12:42 AM
Dwaynes69BB
Burning Brakes

Default Re: WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!! (Jim-K)

Jim,
the thermostat has drilled opennings, so water is always flowing through it even before it opens...

If any of you guys are running hot, I would definetly try one of these stats before doing any thing else.

Get notified of new replies

To WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!!

Quick Reply: WHOOAA, NOW SHE RUNS TOO COLD!!