C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapping an auto for a 4 speed in a 74 BB

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2001, 11:58 PM
Rhubarb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping an auto for a 4 speed in a 74 BB

I am very interested in a particular 74 Big block ... but it has an auto tranny. I really REALLY want a 4 speed. What would be involved in swapping the auto for a (stock) 4 speed.

I know the interior parts can be found pretty easily. What else would need to be changed? Is it worth it?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 08-24-2001, 08:50 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Re: Swapping an auto for a 4 speed in a 74 BB (Rhubarb)

I am doing this swap right now. You will have to swap the pedals out which is a real PITA. and here is a list of other things you will need.
1. weld linkage tab to frame for pivot arm.
2. weld 2 L-shaped brakets to your existing auto cross member.
3. all of the pedal and clutch linkage.
4. bell housing.
5. clutch, presure plate, fly wheel.
6. LOTS OF PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I should get my used clutch pedals in the mail today. I got them for $125 from Gary Gruhala. He has one more set if you are interested. Also if you do remove the pedals for the swap. There are 10 bolts that hold them in. Four on the fire wall, 2 straight up to the dash mount, and four that need to be unbolted in the windshield wiper well. You also will have to remove the steering wheel. If your car is a #'s matching car you might want to think twice about this job. Mine is not NOM and I have the interior and drive train already out so I am putting back what I want. If you have any more questions shoot me a line I will be glad to help
Good Luck! :cheers:

[Modified by wadew10, 6:52 AM 8/24/2001]

Quick Reply: Swapping an auto for a 4 speed in a 74 BB