C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gotta tell you thıs................

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:39 AM
hensen1954
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gotta tell you thıs................

Not exactly C3 stuff but...........
As I wrıte thıs I am ın Turkey close to the local weekly market.
Most people have vans and pıck-ups to transport theır ımıtatıon crap to the market to dupe the tourısts.
However - a bıt dusty and faded there - loaded to the gunnels - ıs a 1964 Impala - 6 taıl lıght model.
Stıll doıng good servıce and relıable as always .
Its lıfe Jım.........
Old 05-17-2006, 08:57 AM
70vert
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Turkey in a couple of weeks. What sights do you suggest I see?
Old 05-17-2006, 09:58 AM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hensen1954
Not exactly C3 stuff but...........
As I wrıte thıs I am ın Turkey close to the local weekly market.
Most people have vans and pıck-ups to transport theır ımıtatıon crap to the market to dupe the tourısts.
However - a bıt dusty and faded there - loaded to the gunnels - ıs a 1964 Impala - 6 taıl lıght model.
Stıll doıng good servıce and relıable as always .
Its lıfe Jım.........

Gunnels

that must be nayspeak for fenders right?
Old 05-17-2006, 10:15 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you go to Istanbul then the blue mosque & the, er, other 2 next to it. The Ayasophia (definitely sp! Prounounced "Hiyasophia" sort of) is about 1400 years old & is well worth a look. Compare the building quality of it with the modern buildings, somebody lost some skills over the years! The old part of Istanbul is definitely worth looking at, but avoid the "Museum of Electrical & Heating Appliances" (really!). I thought that would be a good laugh, but it was just a very hard sell for Turkish rugs (I drove a hard bargain & picked up a rug for $10!!!). One part of the city is exactly as seen in Midnight Express, complete with the pudding shop. The Spice market is also worth a visit but was manic when we were there (beware of pickpockets - I find a loaded mousetrap in a pocket is a good ruse, as long as you don't forget it's there ). If you're into history, old architecture & different cultures then you can't go wrong in the old part of town. One thing I couldn't get used to was the amount of zeros on the banknotes!
We got a hotel right next to the Ayasophia(sp!) & sitting on the roof at night gave spectacular views of the 3 famous mosques & surrounding areas. Well worth trying to get a hotel with a rooftop view (& bar!) if you can, you'll get a real taste of an ancient, & very different, culture while relaxing with a cold beer. Perfect
The only thing I didn't like about the place was the calling to prayers. The Minarets look very nice, but they're all in the modern world now & have PA systems set up. Calling to prayers is an electronically amplified wailing & every Minaret battles against every other one. It's a real din & the 1st one of the day is at dawn
You'll see plenty of places with pipes & hubby-bubblys in them & lots of Turks sitting around smoking them. You may be invited in for a smoke as you walk past one of them. DO NOT take up the offer.
The clash/mix of cultures is weird. You'll see some women walking around dressed as post boxes (completely covered apart from a slit for the eyes) & others walk around wearing very little, which is cool.
Have fun, it's a good place.

Old 05-17-2006, 11:11 AM
mongo6901
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a related note, I happened to be in Guadalajara, Mexico last week, and as I'm waiting in front of the hotel at 7:00 a.m. watching taxis scurry by, what sound do I hear?

Coming slowing through traffic is a gorgeous pro touring '70 Cuda, with what looked like 18s on the front, 19s on the back, and sounding like it had a thumpin' big block.

Couldn't get the camera phone out fast enough before it disappeared in traffic.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:18 AM
hensen1954
Drifting

Originally Posted by 70vert
I'm going to be in Turkey in a couple of weeks. What sights do you suggest I see?
Well - ıf your not marrıed - next week sees the arrıval of the beautıful slım Russıan and Ukranıan gırls - all here for a sun tan and husband wıth a vısa..............

But Jesus - they are soooooooooooooo pretty - not lıke fat UK and USA ones.
Old 05-18-2006, 07:27 AM
hensen1954
Drifting

Damn me - just seen another -ın better condıtıon - ın blue.
May be a few of that year got ımported a long tıme agö.

Get notified of new replies

To Gotta tell you thıs................

Quick Reply: Gotta tell you thıs................