C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips, tricks, advice on running braided fuel line.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 08:07 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Tips, tricks, advice on running braided fuel line.

Please let me preface this post by saying that this is not a should I thread. I already have the hose and fittings. I have pulled my old lines out and installed an AN style compression fitting on the tube on the bottom of the tank.

For those that have run the braided line back in the stock steel line location was there anything special that you had to do?

Did you install the fittings first and then run the line? It seems this would make it dificult to run but the alternative would be trying to install the hose fittings after the line is run under the car and with out the benifit of a vise.

I don't plan on running a return line or a vent line. I do however plan on running a vented gas cap. Any problems with this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever possible, install the fittings before you run the line. Most of the fittings I have used require you to twist the hose into the fitting while applying pressure. I have done it both ways, but it is far easier to do on the bench instead on in the car.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

I made up the ends that hooked up in the engine compartment and then ran the lines to the back, cut em', blew them out w/compressed air from the front to get rubber dust out, used a (small) vise while under the rear of car to make up the ends. If you were willing to run the lines twice to mark the proper length, you could make the hoses up while out of the car. Otherwise, how would you get the hoses the right length? I vise gripped the small vise to a rigid part of the car underneath while I put the fittings on. I'll also encourage you to go ahead and run a -8 return line for future use and use rubber insulated straps to hold the braided in. I used the holes left by the factory bolt holes that retained the old lines. I also zip tied them in several locations along the way to keep them firmly held. I used two -8AN lines all the way back. A cutoff wheel works well for cutting the lines using elec. tape to stop the fraying, which you probably already knew. Industrial scissors also work well I've heard. Good luck.

Jim
Old 05-17-2006, 08:53 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks for the info guys.

Jim,
The vise grip trick is a good idea I will look into that. I will also install the pump end fitting while it is out of the car as you suggest. I am running -6 line. I thought about -8 but thought it would probably be over kill for my application. I was not planning on running a return line since most of the older performance BB's did not have one. With my 454 and Mighty demon carb you think it would really be needed?

Thanks again!
wade
Old 05-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I don't have a return line and Bubba removed the return line on my 350.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BlackRat
Thanks for the info guys.

Jim,
The vise grip trick is a good idea I will look into that. I will also install the pump end fitting while it is out of the car as you suggest. I am running -6 line. I thought about -8 but thought it would probably be over kill for my application. I was not planning on running a return line since most of the older performance BB's did not have one. With my 454 and Mighty demon carb you think it would really be needed?

Thanks again!
wade
Wade,

You're right, it is overkill for your current application but an elec. pump in the future will benefit greatly from a return line to ovoid a "dead head" condition. I like to overkill my design to allow room for expansion without replacement of materials used on first design. My opinion is that your setup is fine for now.

Good luck Buddy,

Jim
Old 05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have a return line and I DO have a vented cap. Works fine with the factory fuel pump.

As far as assembly, do yourself a favor and USE the assembly lube...and plenty of it. Wear leather gloves so you don;t stab the living $hit out of yourself. Easiest way to cut the hose is with a big cable cutter...similar to a bypass pruner. Failing that, use a cutoff wheel and strapping tape to keep the fraying at bay. Don't even think about using a hacksaw.

Last edited by CGGorman; 05-17-2006 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:16 AM
rcread
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

These are handy little things for installing an fittings. You put the fitting in, secure it in a vise and install the line.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm
Old 05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CGGorman
Don't even think about using a hacksaw.

Thanks now you tell me!!!! Actually i did gigure that out the hard way last weekend when i built my pump to carb hose. I think what I am going to do it install my 90* that goes to the pump first then route the line and figure out if it needs to be cut. The pull the line back out and put on the straight fitting that mates to the tank fitting. Probably a lot of work but after 6 years what is a couple more hours.....

Thanks
Wade
Old 05-17-2006, 11:41 AM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rcread
These are handy little things for installing an fittings. You put the fitting in, secure it in a vise and install the line.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/product.htm

Those do look handy... I used "Soft Jaws"

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...00082&D=300082
Old 05-17-2006, 02:46 PM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done a few braided lines by hand (no vice, all with my own upper body strength) and I have to say that it is a lot harder than it looks to push those fittings 3/4 of an inch onto the braided line.

Also, do yourself a favor and measure the depth of the fitting and place a mark or a piece of tape that distance back from the end of the braided line. That way you know exactly when your fitting is completely on the line.
Old 05-17-2006, 04:13 PM
jimvette999
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Victor
Also, do yourself a favor and measure the depth of the fitting and place a mark or a piece of tape that distance back from the end of the braided line. That way you know exactly when your fitting is completely on the line.

Great advice!! I forgot to mention that.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Thanks guys I finished my fuel line last night from the tank to the pump and the pump to the carb. Looks really good!!! Now I just hope i don't have any leaks.....

Wade

Get notified of new replies

To Tips, tricks, advice on running braided fuel line.

Quick Reply: Tips, tricks, advice on running braided fuel line.