C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is how to make an 81 vette fast..CHEAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 01:10 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dyanisis2
While we're on the topic of motors, my 80 has .....
If it was me (& as I'm spending your money!) I'd get a long block motor from somewhere that's got 4 bolt mains, etc (assuming yours is a 2 bolt?). Building worn out engines is fine, but you've got to be aware that there can be some unforeseen "gotchas" that can soon add up the costs, especially if you've got to pay labor for engineering work. And a crate should have some sort of gaurantee.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Jchrisd
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand about cheap rebuilds ect... I work in a dealer, and have for the last 15= years. I know all about aftermarket parts ect. I am sure for another $1000 and my own labor, I could put this car in the low 12 second area.BUT......It is an 81 vette. The only way this will be worth anything...ever is stock..Which is why I saved all the old parts and am doing as little as possible to the externals of the engine....Well maybe in 20 years I could be wrong, but for now, I am right.
I plan on selling this car to a younger person next year. As my neghbor says it, the only reason guys buy those plastic bumper cars, is because they can't afford the real deal. He has 13 vettes, and they are all pre 72. (he is also much more well off than I am by a long shot.)
Understand, I said if anyone is interrested in a cheap way to go faster, here it is. I am sorry if I didn't go with AFR heads and a steel crank, splayed block,studded ,full floating assembly balanced and blue printed, and built buy Grumpy Jenkens(friend of mine had Grumpy build his engine,$43,000 small block dual overhead cam alum engine, runs 6.20's
Me, $2000 and I am good. Every dollar I put in this car, I will get back.

Last edited by Jchrisd; 05-19-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
dyanisis2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jchrisd
I understand about cheap rebuilds ect... I work in a dealer, and have for the last 15= years. I know all about aftermarket parts ect. I am sure for another $1000 and my own labor, I could put this car in the low 12 second area.BUT......It is an 81 vette. The only way this will be worth anything...ever is stock..

You make a very good point here. I'm not sure how much i ultimately want to sink into the car because as you said, mine is an 80 and won't ever be worth a whole lot- at least i don't think so.

Now with another question: What are the opinions of going with a stoker vs just building up the 350? Any reason why i should go with one over the other?
Old 05-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by dyanisis2
You make a very good point here. I'm not sure how much i ultimately want to sink into the car because as you said, mine is an 80 and won't ever be worth a whole lot- at least i don't think so.

Now with another question: What are the opinions of going with a stoker vs just building up the 350? Any reason why i should go with one over the other?
My original motor, in my pace car, had a 3" hole in the side of it, so the sky's the limit. I feel it'd be worth more with a well-running, high-performing engine than a well-running, low-performing engine, both not original. Anyhow.

More CI = more power you can use on the street. If you can do it, do it. I'm going to.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Jchrisd
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked into the stoker idea, and then again came into the equation..Cost. My buddie built a nice street stoker, and it runs fine, but you are looking at alot of money for a balanced kit. Depends what you want to do I guess. I was just interrested in driving around town on the weekends and toying with young kids in souped up hondas.ha ha ha
Plus, it is always neat to be at the car shows and listen to people walk buy your "totally stock looking 81 vette" and making comments about it being a "beach car" or "all show no go" ect. Then after the show, you beat thier over cammed 68 camaro lite to lite in a race.ha ha..Through your QUIET EXHAUST!!!!
Old 05-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

I looked into the stoker idea, and then again came into the equation..Cost. My buddie built a nice street stoker, and it runs fine, but you are looking at alot of money for a balanced kit. Depends what you want to do I guess. I was just interrested in driving around town on the weekends and toying with young kids in souped up hondas.ha ha ha
Plus, it is always neat to be at the car shows and listen to people walk buy your "totally stock looking 81 vette" and making comments about it being a "beach car" or "all show no go" ect. Then after the show, you beat thier over cammed 68 camaro lite to lite in a race.ha ha..Through your QUIET EXHAUST!!!!
My intention is to build a totally stock looking 400 ci small block for the 78. Blue paint and all.

The "L-48 Mk2".
Old 05-19-2006, 08:20 PM
VetteLS6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Roddy13
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts

...I have the solution for 1981 vettes, under 2grand to make them quick....

..... cast iron 64cc heads
...Junk yard HIE curved kitted
.. headers from summit
..fabricated two pipes under car that go back to the mufflers.
..performer intake
..holley 750 dual feed single pump
..comp cams part number CSx4 250h-11206-214 @ .050lift is 432-453 and lobe 111
..3.73 gears

It still isn't a 12 sec car, but you can drive it all over town, .
Blast from the past google search result....Thanks for the laugh!

No clue how all this crap cost $2000 back in the day ??

I would bet all of that added maybe 20-30 hp uncorrected.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

The rear end swap was what added all the 'punch'. Years ago I had a Camaro with a 305...I put in a 350 and was like 'meh'.......I added exhaust and a carb....still 'meh'.......then I went from a 2.77 rear to a 3.73.........BOOM...OMG it was like adding a turbo button in the video games.

Good on you for doing that gear swap yourself though. Thats a rather intense job(to set up correctly). Its one of the few jobs Ive ever paid someone else to do for me.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:53 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Important note: your motor has to be in good condition. If it is tired, this will make it tireder FAST...
Old 04-26-2019, 04:06 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

3 - 2 - 1 closed :- )

Quick Reply: This is how to make an 81 vette fast..CHEAP