C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best aftermarket aluminum radiator??

Old 05-29-2006, 07:16 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Of course I think we make the best but what defines "The best"? Is it the best fit, best looks, best performance, or the best price?

FIT:Well I know ours fit better, dealers tell us everyday. That's because we made four dedicated models for C3, instead of one model fits all 69-82. We call our line "Direct Fit" for a reason.

LOOKS:Something we do special, that doesn't get a lot of attention is the use of press formed end tanks. The tooling to produce custom formed tanks cost us many thousands of dollars but the end result is a one piece formed tank without any fabrication welds. We made the cross channels with four bends (hat shape) so they are identical to the factory brass unit. Not only does this look stock, but it provides standardization when desigining electric fan brackets. The channels even have the rectangle punch holes. So, when you paint one of these black you can hardly tell it's not the real thing. Paint won't hide a B\C.

PERFORMANCE:We have a higher fin count (16fpi) and b/c is low (13fpi)

PRICE:We are about the same rad for rad depending on what dealer you buy them from. But when you add up the dual fan option, we are much better. Our dual fan kit (SP460) is $425 and comes with everything, including a programable controller. Our finished mounting looks a whole lot better than the universal/adjustable kit that b/c sells.
A DeWitt rad/fan combo is $920, a b/c can be up to $1200 when you add all the brackets and wiring kits.

DeWitts specializes in Corvette radiators and we are helping pay the light bill on the CorvetteForum. Pardon the highjack....
WEll you just did your job. When i get one of my first summer paychecks it'll be comiing your way. Thanks for the input. Also do you have a max hp rating for your rads? If not, for someone like me, it is one thing that i liked about b/c's description of theirs. Wether or not it carries any weight...well thats another story.
Thanks
Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder who will want to shoot me for the following info.....

Did you know......

A taurus, yes you read that right, aluminum radiator built for an A/C equipped car will bolt right into a C3?

......for like $125
Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteatv7
WEll you just did your job. When i get one of my first summer paychecks it'll be comiing your way. Thanks for the input. Also do you have a max hp rating for your rads? If not, for someone like me, it is one thing that i liked about b/c's description of theirs. Wether or not it carries any weight...well thats another story.
Thanks
I know a number of guys running 502BB and 572BB motors in their cars (C1's, C2's and C3's) that are all using DeWitt radiator/fan combos and all of them say their cars run nice and cool even on the hottest days. A 572BB street version is about 620hp straight out of the box before any mods.
This enough cooling power for you?
Old 05-29-2006, 09:45 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by BarryK
I know a number of guys running 502BB and 572BB motors in their cars (C1's, C2's and C3's) that are all using DeWitt radiator/fan combos and all of them say their cars run nice and cool even on the hottest days. A 572BB street version is about 620hp straight out of the box before any mods.
This enough cooling power for you?
LOL ya i think it'll work. Plus for right now i'll just get the rad and when i get that motor built (wonder when i'll have the money for that??) then i'll add the fans.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:16 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Also do you have a max hp rating for your rads? Thanks
That's something I am fighting but it's an up hill battle. Every radiator company uses HP as a guide line because it's "what you want to hear". It's a '"feel good" answer and it doesn't take much thought on either party. The reality is, engine HP is almost meaningless when it comes to cooling. Whoa....before anyone jumps on me here I said "almost".

First, if big HP meant big radiators, you have to look at the new Corvettes. The C6 Z06 is factory 600hp and GM installed a single row aluminum core that's only 24" x 17". That's about half the size of what we make for C3 cars.

I use a different method, and I think a better method. We test our radiators, which costs big money to do, and find the heat rejection number for each model in Btu/m. If you download (pdf) a copy of our new catalog you will see no HP rating but rather btu ratings on every radiator. We also publish the rating of the comparable original copper rating so you can see the exact amount of upgrade you will accomplish.

Why do we do this? Because rating on HP makes no since at all. You can generate more heat racing a 300hp car than street driving a 600hp car. It depends on how the engine is built and how you use it. Some engines will generate twice the heat as an identical HP engine due to poor timing, cam, fuel mixture, and many factors.

Spring is here and all the stores have bar-b-que grills on sale. Each one has a btu rating. This rating tells you the exact heat output so you can compare models. They don't rate them on maximum hot dog capacity. No joking, that's exactly what we are doing when we ask for HP limits.

Why don't the other guys do it with btu's? Because it's hard too do and as I said, that's not what we want to hear. Each time I tell a customer how we do it, and after a lengthy explanation, I get "ok, so how many HP is that"?

If you still want a HP number, just apply the other guys guess. They are similar size, two row, aluminum cores. Typically you will see the radiators rated at about 600 hp and when combined with a fan it's up'd to about 800hp.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:23 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,
How much is that hot dog holder, how many will it hold and do you think it will fit my B-Cool radiator?
Old 05-29-2006, 11:02 PM
JustinD
Safety Car

I have a be cool and it is great. Droped engine temps 20-30 degrees for me. Now I'm running in the normal range 180-210
Old 05-29-2006, 11:25 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I can fit three hot dogs on top of my 4 row copper/Brass...
Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

That's something I am fighting but it's an up hill battle. Every radiator company uses HP as a guide line because it's "what you want to hear". It's a '"feel good" answer and it doesn't take much thought on either party. The reality is, engine HP is almost meaningless when it comes to cooling. Whoa....before anyone jumps on me here I said "almost".

First, if big HP meant big radiators, you have to look at the new Corvettes. The C6 Z06 is factory 600hp and GM installed a single row aluminum core that's only 24" x 17". That's about half the size of what we make for C3 cars.

I use a different method, and I think a better method. We test our radiators, which costs big money to do, and find the heat rejection number for each model in Btu/m. If you download (pdf) a copy of our new catalog you will see no HP rating but rather btu ratings on every radiator. We also publish the rating of the comparable original copper rating so you can see the exact amount of upgrade you will accomplish.

Why do we do this? Because rating on HP makes no since at all. You can generate more heat racing a 300hp car than street driving a 600hp car. It depends on how the engine is built and how you use it. Some engines will generate twice the heat as an identical HP engine due to poor timing, cam, fuel mixture, and many factors.

Spring is here and all the stores have bar-b-que grills on sale. Each one has a btu rating. This rating tells you the exact heat output so you can compare models. They don't rate them on maximum hot dog capacity. No joking, that's exactly what we are doing when we ask for HP limits.

Why don't the other guys do it with btu's? Because it's hard too do and as I said, that's not what we want to hear. Each time I tell a customer how we do it, and after a lengthy explanation, I get "ok, so how many HP is that"?

If you still want a HP number, just apply the other guys guess. They are similar size, two row, aluminum cores. Typically you will see the radiators rated at about 600 hp and when combined with a fan it's up'd to about 800hp.
Well just from your interest in the topic, and your taking the time to educate a 17 yr old vette owner on radiators, you will be recieving an order from me sometime this summer. I appreciate an honest explaination that makes perfect sense. You take the time on Memorial Day to right on a forum, the same story that you have probably posted time and time again, shows that even if somehow your radiator was a little inferior, which I believe now is not the case, you'd be recieving my order anyways.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 12:57 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I've been following this post with a lot of interest
Got a few C-notes stashed away from working some OT, and thought I might spend it on a set of Koni's, but now, especially with a new 383 in the works, I believe the money would be better spent on a new radiator.
Tom, expect a call within the next few days
Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 AM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
I've been following this post with a lot of interest
Got a few C-notes stashed away from working some OT, and thought I might spend it on a set of Koni's, but now, especially with a new 383 in the works, I believe the money would be better spent on a new radiator.
Tom, expect a call within the next few days
See, i'm not the only one that appreciates a companies interest in the forum, and their willingness to explain why their product is better.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:19 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

See, i'm not the only one that appreciates a companies interest in the forum, and their willingness to explain why their product is better.
Even more importantly than explaining why their product is good or better, is the customer service AFTER the sale and that's where Tom REALLY beats ANY company out there, radiator or other!
This is a man that knows how to stand behind his product, not just in words or written warranties but by action and I can vouch for that personally from my own expereince.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by BarryK
Even more importantly than explaining why their product is good or better, is the customer service AFTER the sale and that's where Tom REALLY beats ANY company out there, radiator or other!
This is a man that knows how to stand behind his product, not just in words or written warranties but by action and I can vouch for that personally from my own expereince.
Always good things to know about a company I am planning to spend 500 bucks with.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:42 PM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My order is in
Got the A63A with the black epoxy coating, should be here in about a week
Thanks for starting this thread corvetteatv7, thanks to you I'll be spending my $$$ a little more wisely!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:21 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by 682XLR8
My order is in
Got the A63A with the black epoxy coating, should be here in about a week
Thanks for starting this thread corvetteatv7, thanks to you I'll be spending my $$$ a little more wisely!
LOL well glad i could help. I think our thanks goes to Tom and his expertise. Sorry to the other competitors but customer service prooves the deciding factor.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Thanks guys,

just for fun though, ask the guy at Lowes or Home Depot ...

What's the maximum number of Hot Dogs I can cook?

I'll bet they come up with a number, lol
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Thanks guys,

just for fun though, ask the guy at Lowes or Home Depot ...

What's the maximum number of Hot Dogs I can cook?

I'll bet they come up with a number, lol
lol i bet they would. Hey i have to go to home depot thursday, i guess i might just see what they say.

Get notified of new replies

To Best aftermarket aluminum radiator??

Old 05-30-2006, 06:40 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

My comments...I bought a Be Cool, this was three years ago so I wasn't familiar with the DeWitts offerings.

I'm not too happy with the four clamp brackets that surround the radiator frame to hold on the big spal fan. They are little loose. I'd like eventually to weld them.

Also, the Be Cool radiator is not exactly compatible with my 68 expansion tank (the aluminum mini-beer keg shaped tank). The BeCool has a pressure cap built into the top of the radiator, whereas the stock Harrison radiator has no pressure cap on it at all. My solution, I took the BeCool radiator cap, and cut off the pressure spring and seal. My BeCool pressure cap, is now simply a cap. The BeCool overflow hose now runs to the 68 expansion tank. This means my pressure cap on the 68 expansion tank regulates coolant pressure. Hope this works.

One positive thing about BeCool is that I have found they do provide good technical support (although the above chopping the spring off their radiator cap was my idea),

Agree completely with DeWitts BTU rating system.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 05-30-2006 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:11 PM
my red 81
Instructor

i ordered the dewitts rad from ecklers last sat they had a 10% off every thing in the store. its for a my 81
Old 05-30-2006, 08:40 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
My comments...I bought a Be Cool, this was three years ago so I wasn't familiar with the DeWitts offerings.

I'm not too happy with the four clamp brackets that surround the radiator frame to hold on the big spal fan. They are little loose. I'd like eventually to weld them.

Also, the Be Cool radiator is not exactly compatible with my 68 expansion tank (the aluminum mini-beer keg shaped tank). The BeCool has a pressure cap built into the top of the radiator, whereas the stock Harrison radiator has no pressure cap on it at all. My solution, I took the BeCool radiator cap, and cut off the pressure spring and seal. My BeCool pressure cap, is now simply a cap. The BeCool overflow hose now runs to the 68 expansion tank. This means my pressure cap on the 68 expansion tank regulates coolant pressure. Hope this works.

One positive thing about BeCool is that I have found they do provide good technical support (although the above chopping the spring off their radiator cap was my idea),

Agree completely with DeWitts BTU rating system.
Well the dewitts is supposed to be a direct drop in system so hopefully i won't have those types of problems. Plus i don't think you can beat tom personally posting to your questions right here on the forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best aftermarket aluminum radiator??