C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SB & BB Radiator from DeWitts - Lower Hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Witz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SB & BB Radiator from DeWitts - Lower Hose

Seems like several people out there have small blocks with the big block direct fit radiators from Dewitts. What did you use for a lower radiator hose?

The hose made for a big block with big block radiator is about two inches short (though everything lines up). Seems all of the stainless steel universal hoses are 1.25" inner diameter. I thought about cutting the hose I have and putting in a brass or stainless coupling, but I can't find one that big - seems like it should be 4" long with an inner diameter of 1.5".

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2006, 04:24 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Tom is on here a lot and should chime in soon enough.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:35 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Witz
Seems like several people out there have small blocks with the big block direct fit radiators from Dewitts. What did you use for a lower radiator hose?

The hose made for a big block with big block radiator is about two inches short (though everything lines up). Seems all of the stainless steel universal hoses are 1.25" inner diameter. I thought about cutting the hose I have and putting in a brass or stainless coupling, but I can't find one that big - seems like it should be 4" long with an inner diameter of 1.5".

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!
Go to a plumbing store, not Lowes or Home Depot, and buy a piece of copper tube or pipe that matches the hose ID. It won't have the hose beads on the ends but new SS worm gear clamps will hold just fine.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:21 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Figured he'd be on here before long and know the answer.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:38 PM
Witz
Racer

I stopped by one plumbing distributer and they didn't have anything unless I wanted to spend $250 on a 20ft pipe. I made a few calls and think I might have found something... hoping they do.

Thanks all!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'm using the 68-72 w/AC BB 3 piece hose set up. Let me see if I have a pic.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

No, sorry I don't have a pic. It's a three piece set. Rubber hose from waterpump to about the crossmember area which then attaches to a metal tube...about 6" long. The metal tube then attaches to another rubber hose and then to the radiator.

I think I got it from Paregon Reproductions.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:27 AM
Witz
Racer

Well, I bought a 1.5" ID copper coupler (It's about 2.5" long). I cut the hose a few inches off of the radiator put the coupler in then cut a piece of another lower hose that I had (about 4") and attached it to the coupler and radiator. Everything seems to fit pretty good - I hope the clamps hold.

The only thing I don't like is the hose is pretty much touching the brake line where it runs across the frame. If I can't push the line back a quarter inch (there is room but the lines are stainless so they are tough to move around), I guess I will put something between to keep some of the heat away.

Get notified of new replies

To SB & BB Radiator from DeWitts - Lower Hose

Quick Reply: SB & BB Radiator from DeWitts - Lower Hose