C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

crank windows

Old 08-27-2001, 02:42 AM
c5vette98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crank windows

Hey. I bought the tool from ecklers to take of my manual window cranks; however, I am unsure how to use it. I noticed there was a white piece of cardboard behind the **** and i stuck the tool behind this piece. It seems to snap in but then what? You can really pry it off or anything? Should it pull off? Do you have to turn it? Are you supposed to stick the tool behind the door pocket? Let me know if any of you know how to use this tool...

-Eddie
'78 vette
Old 08-27-2001, 03:20 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: crank windows (c5vette98)

Eddie, you slip the fork right behind the handle. Tourn the tool till it slips into place and then turn a little more, that should turn it loose.
Old 08-27-2001, 03:36 AM
noxqsz
Instructor

Default Re: crank windows (c5vette98)

Eddie;

The window crank tool removes a clip that attaches the handle to the window regulator mechanism shaft. The clip, which is essentially "U" shaped slides into two slots that are cut into the part of the window crank that fits over the splined regulator shaft. You use the tool to push the "U" shaped clip back, thus releasing the handle. To use the tool, slide it between the window crank and the piece of white material you mentioned. I believe you'll find that material to be plastic, at least that's what it should be. The tricky part here is that the clip can be installed two ways. If it's installed correctly, you can remove the clip by sliding in the removal tool along the length of the window crank, that is in the same alignment as the window crank itself. Let me put it another way. Turn the window crank until it is parallel with the ground. You'll have the little round **** on one end and the round part that attaches to the regulator shaft on the other. Take your tool and slide it under the crank handle from the little **** end toward the larger attachment end and make sure it goes between the little plastic shield and the crank itself. Keep the tool aligned with the handle. It should be directly behind the handle and running the same direction as the handle. You should feel the tool slide into the slots I mentioned earlier and encounter a little resistance as it pushes the clip back. The clip may or may not come completely out, but either way, it will release the crank, which will come off, usually with a bit of wiggling. If, after a few attempts, the handle doesn't come free, the clip may be installed backwards, and you'll need to bring the tool in from the opposite direction. I hate to tell you this, but all this is predicated on the idea that the handle you're removing is and original piece. If it's an aftermarket handle, the tool may not work at all. If all I've done is confuse you, just stop by the nearest body shop and someone there will show you how to use the tool. It's really much easier to use than it is to describe the process of using it.
Old 08-27-2001, 06:07 PM
c5vette98
Advanced

Default Re: crank windows (noxqsz)

thanks...got it

Get notified of new replies

To crank windows

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: crank windows