C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hubs That Will Allow C5 Rotors?

Old 06-10-2006, 09:58 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default New Hubs That Will Allow C5 Rotors?

OK, first off there is nothing that exists like this to my knowledge. However, I have toyed with the idea of using C5 13" 1.25 thick rotors on the front of my 68 for a some time. A little background: I intend to use Wilwood rotors and the biggest piston size I can find is smaller than the C3 stockers and I am attempting to rebalance the brakes with larger rotors. Also using bigger wheels.

My original concept was to cut the disk from the C5 rotor and make new hats from aluminum and retain the C3 hub as is. This is problematic because the pads used on the C5 are smaller so there is not much left of the disk when you machine the hub off. Also, the next time I need new rotors, I'll have to do this all over again (if I remember how).

So now I'm thinking if you moved the flange on the C3 hub back 1.125 inches you could bolt the un-modded C5 rotor onto the new hub, put an adapter/spacer on and your good to go.

SO TO MY QUESTION! There are two obvious ways to do this and some perhaps not so obvious. Machine a brand new hub from billet aluminum OR machine the flange off the stock hub and weld a new one on then true the flange. I've seen aluminum hubs for race cars but not road cars and I'm kind of on the fence about whether this is a good idea. Any opinions on this? Welding a new flange might be easier because I know someone that could spin weld it (possibly, depends on fixturing).

Last edited by BBShark; 06-10-2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:30 PM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there was a guy i talked to for a while from cf that had done this. I can't tell for sure from your desription but i think he did kinda the same thing. I think his name was 70ls1 or something like that but he did a really nice wright-up on his website that explains everything with really good pictures. I printed it out to keep for when and if i ever do this. Might do a search for him and see what comes up...I think that was his name but not positive.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:15 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

He did a remarkable conversion with C5 calipers, C5 rotors, C5 master and all the goodies. If you use the C3 hubs with C5 rotors, you have to use the C5 calipers. If you use Wilwoods, the rotor has to be further from the inside of the wheel (because it is a thicker 4-pot caliper), so you must reposition the hub.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:09 AM
corvetteatv7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I see what your talking about now. Sounds like a cool idea and would like to see pics and a wrightup when done.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:31 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A fourth option is to buy the VBp aluminum hubs and have coleman racing make you a set of custom 13" rotors.
But then again, everytime you want new rotors you have to order your special ones again
Old 06-11-2006, 09:18 PM
70 LS1
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you called willwood. They may have a hat and rotor combo that would work.

What about C6 Z06 rotors, they use a wide 6 pot caliper with a 14" rotor. Probably has more offset to clear the wheel. Worth looking into.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:35 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sure don't like the idea of welding up your own rotors. I thought they were cast iron and cast iron isn't really fun to weld and prone to cracking. At the same time you could form white cast iron and no chance of machining it.
No I would go with aluminum hats and coleman rotors.
I didn't even settle for 13 inch and went directly to 14 inch and with 18 inch rims they fit fine.
You can have anything custom made cheaply from coleman in 13 or 14 inch. Just give them the dimensions you want, the hole circle etc and they will custom machine to your specs .
Old 06-11-2006, 11:04 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
I sure don't like the idea of welding up your own rotors. I thought they were cast iron and cast iron isn't really fun to weld and prone to cracking. At the same time you could form white cast iron and no chance of machining it.
No I would go with aluminum hats and coleman rotors.
I didn't even settle for 13 inch and went directly to 14 inch and with 18 inch rims they fit fine.
You can have anything custom made cheaply from coleman in 13 or 14 inch. Just give them the dimensions you want, the hole circle etc and they will custom machine to your specs .
I was talking about machining and welding the hub which is steel. I have found some 330mm rotors that may work if redrilled for Chevy bolt circle. I'll have to look at the Coleman option.

Get notified of new replies

To New Hubs That Will Allow C5 Rotors?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Hubs That Will Allow C5 Rotors?