C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuild power steering control valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 09:12 PM
a1sensei
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuild power steering control valve?

The power steering control valve on my '81 is leaking fluid where the pitman arm connects. I found a rebuild kit for $10. Is this an easy and reliable rebuild, or would I be better off buying the valve already rebuilt ($120). I am fairly mechanically inclined and do most of my own repairs and modifications. But I know some things are more of a headache than they are worth, and since I have never worked on one of these before, I thought I'd ask before I dive in. Thanks and God bless, Sensei
Old 06-17-2006, 09:25 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

This one is borderline in my opinion. Read the papers by Jim Shea on corvettefaq. The job isn't all that hard but it took me a few tries to get it right. The washers, in particular, are a PITA.

Certainly not difficult but a little fiddly. Depends on how you value your time.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:25 PM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
This one is borderline in my opinion. Read the papers by Jim Shea on corvettefaq. The job isn't all that hard but it took me a few tries to get it right. The washers, in particular, are a PITA.

Certainly not difficult but a little fiddly. Depends on how you value your time.
I was lucky in that I rebuilt the PS control valve on my 72 and it worked the first time. Here is the link:

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?page_id=4

A caution is due here - AFTER YOU DOWN LOAD JIM SHEA'S PAPERs, take notes on the orientation of ALL of the parts. Iirc, there are a couple of parts that can go in either the right way or the wrong way. Do not just start taking things apart without noting this.

As stated, this is not a technically difficult job.

Gary
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Mine looked original and was shot. I bought a rebuilt one from Zip's (core charge) and also the power ram thingamajiggy. Works great.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:28 AM
Richard Cooper
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I rebuilt the one on my 81 and it leaked as bad as before I rebuilt it. Got a rebuilt from Auto Zone for about $50 and its been on the car for over 4 years and no problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuild power steering control valve?

Quick Reply: Rebuild power steering control valve?