C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank troubles - big time !

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:12 AM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank troubles - big time !

Aw, geez. Here I go again: I had a massive leak in my gas tank over the winter, where Bubba had repaired a hole in it before I bought it.

I purchased a new tank from Quanta. I also bought a new, NON-vented gas cap, since that is the correct configuration for my '70.

I pull up to the gas station this morning and notice that the filler neck is now 1-2" lower than it used to be and is also crooked.

Apparently, I have a HUGE venting problem. I am pissed, because I have posted this before here and on another site, and thought when I put in the new tank, that the venting wouldn't be an issue...Wrong.

So where have I gone wrong? Wrong tank? Wrong cap? Help
Old 06-16-2006, 09:04 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the replacement tank have the same line fittings, such as vapor return and/or fuel pump return? Are any of the factory return/vent lines capped off?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:27 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
Did the replacement tank have the same line fittings, such as vapor return and/or fuel pump return? Are any of the factory return/vent lines capped off?
I second Big G's question. As for the filler neck dropping, It sounds like your tank is not securely mounted and has dropped down. This may have crimped some vent lines.

Orville
Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 PM
audiec
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, below is the description from the Quanta website, this thing should be venting from the EEC on the side and the vent built into the top. Thats the two places I would look first...

Audie

Exact reproduction Corvette gas tank with O.L. Anderson logo and 3 year warranty. Made of Ni-terne plated steel.
Applications:
Corvette: 1970 - July 1974 with Evaporative Emission Control (EEC) except LT-1. This includes 1970 Corvetttes with EEC but w/o LT-1, 1971-72 Corvettes without LT-1 and alll 1973-74 Corvettes.
Features: The O.L. Anderson logo is indented into the bottom of the tank as original. Rectangular side indentations, drivers side tube and bracket for EEC, passenger side fuel return tube, vented as original, valve in top of tank, and straight weld seams, crossed at corners.
Capacity: 20 gallons
Dimensions: 38" x 15-3/4" x 11-3/4"
Original Part Number: 3967749
Free with Tank: Filler neck screws, filler neck gasket, sending unit rubber o-ring and lock ring.
Packaging: Foam wrapped, stretch wrapped and boxed.
Part Number: GM-33D

Edit: PS: Mark, until you find the problem, maybe run a vented cap, so you don't bend the crap out of your tank...

Last edited by audiec; 06-16-2006 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:22 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audiec
Mark, below is the description from the Quanta website, this thing should be venting from the EEC on the side and the vent built into the top. Thats the two places I would look first...

Audie

Exact reproduction Corvette gas tank with O.L. Anderson logo and 3 year warranty. Made of Ni-terne plated steel.
Applications:
Corvette: 1970 - July 1974 with Evaporative Emission Control (EEC) except LT-1. This includes 1970 Corvetttes with EEC but w/o LT-1, 1971-72 Corvettes without LT-1 and alll 1973-74 Corvettes.
Features: The O.L. Anderson logo is indented into the bottom of the tank as original. Rectangular side indentations, drivers side tube and bracket for EEC, passenger side fuel return tube, vented as original, valve in top of tank, and straight weld seams, crossed at corners.
Original Part Number: 3967749
Free with Tank: Filler neck screws, filler neck gasket, sending unit rubber o-ring and lock ring.
Part Number: GM-33D

Edit: PS: Mark, until you find the problem, maybe run a vented cap, so you don't bend the crap out of your tank...

Audie - the description doesn't fit mine. I have a non-eec car - ie no cannister. I only have a fuel pump return line, in addition to the pressure line. I seem to be in the minority with my configuration - L46 engine, non-california (non-eec), non-vented cap.

I think I will run a vented cap from now on. I just hope I haven't ruined this tank, but I very well may have
Old 06-17-2006, 12:09 AM
audiec
Instructor

Yea, I keep forgetting about the California cars, I guess you could have gotten a bad tank. I still thought they all had the top vent...

Audie
Old 06-19-2006, 03:48 PM
audiec
Instructor

Mark, I think this must be the description of your tank. It does say the tank is vented at the top. So my guess is either the top vent is non-functioning or or return line is plugged.

I went out Friday night and looked at my car, reached down to feel where the vent line terminated, hoping I could help you fix your problem. Went to drive the car last evening and the rubber vent line broke and was spraying gas everywhere... Guess I need some new rubber...

Audie

"Exact reproduction Corvette gas tank with O.L. Anderson logo and 3 year warranty. Made of Ni-terne plated steel.
Applications:
Corvette: August 1969 - December 1969 with Rochester carburetors and 1970 Corvettes without Evaporative Emission Control (EEC) and without LT-1.
Features: The O.L. Anderson logo is indented into the bottom of the tank as original. Rectangular side indentations, passenger side fuel return tube, vented as original, valve in top of tank, and straight weld seams, crossed at corners.
Original Part Number: 3967741
Part Number: GM-33E"
Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Fevre
Race Director

If you did not hear a giant rush of air when you opened the lid then something else is amiss, with a slow leak it would take a giant quick vaccum to collapse the tank, if a slow vaccum then the tank would need to be sealed to allow enough time to collapse it and when you took the lid off air would rush into it

Get notified of new replies

To Gas Tank troubles - big time !

Quick Reply: Gas Tank troubles - big time !