C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Guys - help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 02:58 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Paint Guys - help!!

As some of you may know, I am getting close to being in the paint booth. I have run into a snag I need a little advise on.

Car: 1968 Corvette convertible.

Status: All body work is done. Car is disassembled (hood off, deck lid off, doors off).

Problem: I covered the car (disassembled body) with 3 good coats of 2K primer. Unfortunately, I ran out of 2K before I could even put on one coat on the doors, hood and decklid (they are still red).

Question: If I prime the doors etc. with regular laquer based primer, will the red basecoat have a different tint than the main body? The 2k has a yellowish/olive color to it where as the regular primer is bright grey. Or should I reassemble the car and spray the whole thing with the laquer primer to have an even base all the way around?

The last thing I want to do is take a chance here. I've been working on this thing for 8 months!

Thanks!
SP
Old 07-06-2006, 03:05 PM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The obvious answer would be to get some more 2K primer and finish the job with the same materials. As far as putting lacquer primer on the doors go, I wouldn't recommend it. I just finished going through hell repairing the hood of my 74. I used all lacquer products since that's what I originally painted the car with years ago. The hell part of it was the shrinkage that occurs using lacquer products. I don't know if it's because they been reformulated or if it's because I don't remember the initial paint job. But the shrinkage I experienced was horrible. I ended up reworking one repair 3 times and I'm still getting shrinkage. The beauty of catalyzed paint is that it dries chemically and once it dries it stops moving. Lacquer dries for over a year! Get the right product and play it safe. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get some more 2k Primer. Lacquer primer is an inferior product. I have used a lot of it back in the day. Have you stripped the car to fiberglass? If you have not you run the risk of adverse chemical reaction between the laquer primer and old paint on the car.
2k Urethane Primer is far superior to laquer as far as filling, shrinkage, and chemical reaction with other products.
The only time I would use lacquer primer now days is if I was painting lacquer paint.

You are correct as far as wanting the same color surface to start painting on. If you have different color primers you can spray a coat of sealer over the car prior to applying the base

Dennis
Old 07-06-2006, 03:26 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-06-2006, 03:40 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys. That's what I thought because it sounds like common sense to me, but I wanted to be sure. Good news is the 2K kit is on sale now at Keystone for only $79. Looks like I'll be heading that way after work today.
Thanks again!
SP
Old 07-06-2006, 10:59 PM
ajstr1265
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a catylized primer. If you cannot get the same color just seal the entire car before painting to give a uniform surface

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Guys - help!!

Quick Reply: Paint Guys - help!!