C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Radio Install '79

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 12:29 PM
Adam Wartell
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Default HELP!! Radio Install '79

I am trying to replace the radio on my '79.
The trouble I'm having is just getting the radio/gauges console apart.
Can someone please detail the steps that I should take to get the console out?
Do I need to take the spedo/tach assembly out?
Do I need to take the shifter console out?

Thanks!!
Old 09-01-2001, 12:36 PM
rrent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! Radio Install '79 (adamw1979)

I took the console sides out then took the center console (lower hroizontal piece) loose and while still attached to the gauge housing (upper vertical piece) was able to pull it up enough to slip a factory sized radio in and out. Its kinda tight and you don't want to pull/push anything to point of cracking/breaking.

I got the radios in and out via the passenger side.

good luck
Old 09-01-2001, 11:55 PM
johnnyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: HELP!! Radio Install '79 (rrent)

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.... I found out the hard way.......
Old 09-02-2001, 12:39 AM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: HELP!! Radio Install '79 (adamw1979)

I don't know how different yours is from mine, but on my '77, I can have the radio out in minutes. I start by removing the passenger side dash panel (two screws on the side of the panel near the door jamb, plus two or three screws at the top of the pad, going into the top dash cover). After the side panel is removed, I remove the two screws at the top of the gauge cluster, that go into the top dash panel. From there, my gauge cluster easily pivots to the right (clockwise if looking at the cluster from the top). This gives access to all the important radio stuff.

Some things to keep in mind: as mentioned, disconnect the battery. Also, be gentle with the cluster plate. They're fragile. Also, pay attention to the speed nuts when you remove everything. If you lose one, it's no big deal, as any auto parts store carries these. Lastly, pay attention to the idiot light covers on the center cluster. Mine are loose, and it's a pain if you lose one into the cluster itself.

If any of your gauge lights are burned out or dim, now is the time to address this. The backs of the light bulbs resemble gray *****. Twist them, and the lights will screw right out. If they are burned out, replace them. If they are okay, wipe them off. All that accumulated dirt reduces their effectiveness.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!! Radio Install '79

Quick Reply: HELP!! Radio Install '79