C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nothing is coming out of the vents..

Old 09-02-2001, 08:37 AM
eightyvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nothing is coming out of the vents..

The only air that I can get to come out is at my feet. Nothing comes out of the windshield when I put on the defrost and nothing comes out of the vents. any suggestions.....

[Modified by eightyvette, 6:38 AM 9/2/2001]
Old 09-02-2001, 01:18 PM
utahrookie
Instructor

Default Re: Nothing is coming out of the vents.. (eightyvette)

Check your vacum hoses and make sure there hooked up. If so it may be the controller on the console. My 79 vent controller only works when it wants to, I think it's time for a change out.

good luck
Old 09-03-2001, 12:31 AM
lyonsh
Drifting

Sounds like your blend doors aren't functioning. These doors are controlled by vacuum "motors." Most of the time, if they're not working, it's a leaking or loose vacuum line. Check the vac lines - I'd suggest getting a Service Manual or AIM to see where they're routed. This can be a real PITA to track down.

Good luck :cheers:
Old 09-03-2001, 01:39 AM
Chris Fowler
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'10

There should be a vacuum line coming off the back of your intake that runs to the headlights. About a foot off of the intake there should be a vacuum T that connects to a smaller line. This is the vacuum to the line that controls where the air is blowing.

Make sure it's hooked up and has clean vacuum. (mine was broken and disconnected. Replacing the T and hooking it up got air coming out of my upper vents).

If that is hooked up and working then the problem is further into your system. That line runs through the firewall and connects to a vacuum canister that actually controls the flow of the air. That connection can sometimes get loose or leaky. I haven't gone hunting for that connection yet. I'm pretty sure mine's got a slight leak. The vacuum canister is somewhere on the drivers side of the center console near the A/C controls. The AIM should help you in finding it.

Hope that helps some.
Old 09-03-2001, 07:15 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Nothing is coming out of the vents.. (Chris Fowler '80)

On at least later C3 the problem is that heater is the default position (no vac. or vac. leak) due to being designed in the north. Vent should be default. Very safe bet the problem is 1 OR 2:
1) The vac. line from engine is damaged from heat - a small plastic tube that goes in below the hood theft switch into wiper valley. Replacing most of engine side w/ hose will fix. OR
2) The vac. switch itself is not switching due to vac. leak as the usually plastic rivet is not holding the 2 main switch parts together well. Besides replacing, it is also possible to tighten this &/or lube w/ white lithium grease or vasoline to fix.

PS The design problem comment is not intended to be offensive to any of our northern friends. :cool:

Get notified of new replies

To Nothing is coming out of the vents..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nothing is coming out of the vents..