C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor Install!! PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:10 PM
OriginalOwner
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distributor Install!! PLEASE HELP!!

I removed my distributor to replace the points with a petronix electronic ignitor system. I've been trying to get the distributor back in for 5 days. I know I need to align the slot and gear up with the oil pump shaft, and have been rotating the pump shaft for days, but it just won't go all the way down. The shaft seems to wobble around a bit but it seems to be straight. I'm wondering if the bushing on the oil pump shaft may be worn. It's been awhile since I've done this so I can't rememeber if the play in the pump shaft is normal or not. I don't want to go through the troulble of dropping the oil pan if I don' t need to. It's a 71' Vette with a 350/270hp. engine.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:21 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes it's just a battle to get the !!$%**!?? distributor in, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Remember that because of the helical cut on the distributor gear it's going to rotate the shaft 45 degrees on the way down so you want to have the shaft turned backwards that amount before you drop the distributor into the hole. There won't be any bushing wear issues because the hole that the shaft passes through in the block is just that- a hole. Try again, you'll get it.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:22 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

My experience is that a small amount of play is normal, and lining up with long screwdriver and playing with it a little it has always dropped in a min or two. Are you sure there are no other obstructions, wiring pinched under the dist flange or something?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
GOSFAST
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Distributor vs. Oil Pump Shaft

Originally Posted by OriginalOwner
I removed my distributor to replace the points with a petronix electronic ignitor system. I've been trying to get the distributor back in for 5 days. I know I need to align the slot and gear up with the oil pump shaft, and have been rotating the pump shaft for days, but it just won't go all the way down. The shaft seems to wobble around a bit but it seems to be straight. I'm wondering if the bushing on the oil pump shaft may be worn. It's been awhile since I've done this so I can't rememeber if the play in the pump shaft is normal or not. I don't want to go through the troulble of dropping the oil pan if I don' t need to. It's a 71' Vette with a 350/270hp. engine.
Hi "Original", don't pay any attention to getting the oil pump shaft to
"line-up". Get the rotor in "sync" with the correct wire in the cap, lay the assembly in place and "tap" the starter, the distributor will drop down and line itself up on it's own. As long as it's up only the short distance from being in the "shaft" you will already have the teeth engaged on the cam and distributor, this will keep the "phasing" correct. Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The "play" down at the oil pump shaft without the distributor in place is normal. This is all assuming you don't have another issue as to preventing it from dropping down.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Carl914
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like that "tap the starter" idea.

I used a long screwdriver myself AFTER I screwed around without it for hours. That got it in place in minutes. I don't think I would have ever gotten it to line up on its own. I also think I used a pencil mark where I wanted the slot to line up before I used the screwdriver

http://www.mycarframes.com
Old 07-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
"line-up". Get the rotor in "sync" with the correct wire in the cap, lay the assembly in place and "tap" the starter, the distributor will drop down and line itself up on it's own. As long as it's up only the short distance from being in the "shaft" you will already have the teeth engaged on the cam and distributor, this will keep the "phasing" correct. Thanks, Gary in N.Y........
I agree. This method works every time. I had the same frustration years ago, when a race engine builder showed me this method. It's quick and always works.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:20 PM
OriginalOwner
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys for the responses. I remembered the "tap" trick from years ago, but here's the dilema. When I tried it the distributor would stop rotating at some point and get jammed. I boke 2 distributor gears trying this trick. At about $40 a "pop" I can't afford trying this trick again.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:34 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Your not putting the gear on upside down are you?I dont even know if this is possible- just a thought-Do you have a piece of the old gear stuck?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:39 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by GOSFAST
"line-up". Get the rotor in "sync" with the correct wire in the cap, lay the assembly in place and "tap" the starter, the distributor will drop down and line itself up on it's own.
That's the way I learned to do it. The way the the gears on the dist and the the gear on the cam mesh, it forces the distr down. Tap the started and it will engage the oil pump.

P.S. I hear others saying that they spent $xxxx dollars on an engine and do not want to do it this way and will spend (waste) time time trying to align the oil pump shaft. The gears on the distr and cam are 90% engaged and no harm will be done. My time is to valuable to waste in guessing where to the the oil shaft.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:52 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

If you broke 2 gears where are the broken pieces?Did you look at the cam gear?The way these guys are telling you is right-something is wrong-that dist should drop right in with a bump of the starter--OK IT IS POSSIBLE to get gear on upside down-I went out to the shop and did it-if you did this it could break a gear,bend the shaft,break dist. housing or all of the above.

Last edited by ...Roger...; 07-10-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 AM
OriginalOwner
Heel & Toe

I'm to embarassed to say but you were right! I put the gear on upside down-How stupid is that??? Now in the midst of the frustration I forgot to mark #1 on the distributor cap so I need to figure that out. In my day (during the mid 60's and early 70's) I was a good muscle car mechanic. Gettin' old really "sucks" Thanks for the suggestion it caused me to rethink my work and find the problem.

Last edited by OriginalOwner; 07-12-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 AM
PhotoVette1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the old 'Put it in place. Put a brick on it. Crank the motor. It drops right in.' Trick. It works.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:38 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

There might be some resistance.. Apply some force (not too much) and try to twist the distributor down..
Old 07-11-2006, 08:11 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

I'm to embarassed to say but you were right! I put the gear on upside down-How stupid is that??? Now in the midst of the frustration I forgot to mark #1 on the distributor cap so I need to figure that out. In my day (during the mid 60's and early 70's) I was a good muscle car mechanic. Gettin' old really "sucks" Thanks for the suggestion it caused me to rethink my work and find the problem.
I agree-"getting old sucks" you should see me trying to move the day after being under a dash!
Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM
panchop
Melting Slicks

LOL , don't feel like the Lone Ranger. When I was reading this the first thing that popped in my head was that the gear was upside down. I didn't think that because i had "heard " it could happen. Pretty sure anyone who knows that it won't go on with the gear upside down knows because we have tried it that way.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

In my day (during the mid 60's and early 70's) I was a good muscle car mechanic. Gettin' old really "sucks"
I know the feeling. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:26 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Originally Posted by panchop
LOL , don't feel like the Lone Ranger. When I was reading this the first thing that popped in my head was that the gear was upside down. I didn't think that because i had "heard " it could happen. Pretty sure anyone who knows that it won't go on with the gear upside down knows because we have tried it that way.
No never did this until last night to see if it would actually go on and line up---BUT way back when --I was replacing 1 piston and had just come back from Bob McDorman show in Columbus-I had hung up my new Gentile Poster of Marie standing behind that red 65 vert and was admiring the good job I had done hanging the poster and looked down and I had installed the piston upside down. :o Thank goodness I hadnt even connected the rod to the crank or I might have given up being a mechanic.I checked that poster every day to make sure it was straight!!!!! ---(ps I started a thread in general about the old Gentile posters)

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor Install!! PLEASE HELP!!

Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
fugawi
Melting Slicks

it's o.k. original. i'm 42 and can't...... what was i gonna say...
Old 07-12-2006, 02:49 PM
OriginalOwner
Heel & Toe

Default She's Running!!!!!!!!!

Distributor dropped in after 2 tries!! Wired everything back up and started her up. Seems to be running like her old-self. Haven't taken her out on the road yet, but think everything is fine. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. This forum is GREAT. I was on another one a while back and never got a response to anything I put up. Thanks for the support about the "age" thing. Mistakes like this could make me loose my confidence about my abilities.
Old 07-12-2006, 04:23 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by dwncchs
I agree-"getting old sucks" you should see me trying to move the day after being under a dash!
I'm 28, been working on this dang car since I was 15 (it was my dad's then), and I've ALWAYS felt cramped and stiff the day after a long under-dash session.

Quick Reply: Distributor Install!! PLEASE HELP!!