C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is GAS smell coming from?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 03:43 PM
74Coupe
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is GAS smell coming from?

I have been noticing a strong smell of gas when ever I take a hard right hand turn (nothing is noticed during a left hand turn). It is the worst just after I fill the tank. I have climbed over and under the car twice but have as of yet to find where that smell is coming from. I have even had the Wife with her bloodhound nose examine the car but she is stumped as well. Anybody with a similar problem or anyone with some ideas?
Old 09-02-2001, 03:46 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Where is GAS smell coming from? (74 New Owner)

check right above the left rear frame rail at gas tank theres a line there that goes to vapor canister up front make sure the hoses are good at the tank.on drivers side..might help you out.
Old 09-02-2001, 04:43 PM
Leprechaun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also try looking up into the left upper inner fender, there's a vapor/gas separater that is made of plastic that tends to split at the seams and develope a slow gas leak. Its a PITA to get to, but should be looked at.

I also found that if i filled my tank too high it tended to flood up that vapor line and swamp that separator.

rgds, Leprechaun
Old 09-03-2001, 04:25 AM
Jim 77
Racer

Default Re: Where is GAS smell coming from? (Leprechaun)

It could be your gas cap. The gas cap on my 77 got a little too old and started leaking fumes. I am not sure when they started with the emissions style gas cap, 74 or 75 I think...
A generic gas cap solved my problems, at less than $20 it might be worth a shot.
Jim
Old 09-03-2001, 08:36 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: Where is GAS smell coming from? (Jim 77)

And yet another possibility.... I had this same problem for over 10 years with my 70... only smelled gas when the tank was full. Turned out to be a pin hole in the bottom of the tank, under one of the tank straps. It only leaked when the tank was full because of the added weight of the fuel. Finally, it was leaking just enough to make the strap "damp"... no dripping. Went to a local Chevy dealer and bought a new GM tank. This also clued me in to the quart of water sitting inside the tank down by the screen/intake tube. Just enough water to make the car stall when I went up a hill.... and rust a hole in the bottom of the tank from the inside out. I smelled gas for years & years. Could not figure it out. Initially, it wasn't damp. Just smelled.
Old 09-03-2001, 10:02 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Where is GAS smell coming from? (Tom454)

Have a friend who bought a "restored" 65. Had the same problem...gas smell...moreso on hard right turns, etc. Turned out that the previous restorer had installed a brand new incorrect tank...with the vent on the top left side...and left it open. Gas sloshed out of the tank on turns. As others have said, check all the vents on the top to see if they're connected. Corvette gas tanks are not a "one size fits all", as there are many variations for vapor return lines on Holley vs. Rochester cars, etc. Chuck
Old 09-03-2001, 10:50 AM
X-OTIC
Instructor

Try fill the tank and jacking the car up on the right side. Let it sit in the sun so the tank can get warm / making pressure in the tank or if you have air pressure put pressure to the tank. If there is a hole/s in the tank/hoses it might run out.

Get notified of new replies

To Where is GAS smell coming from?

Quick Reply: Where is GAS smell coming from?