C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

76 Cowl vent screens in windshield wiper area

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 07:09 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: 76 Cowl vent screens in windshield wiper area (JRChurch)

This is original. My buddys 75 has it also. I don't have it on my 71 though. I thought the same thing after seeing his car but after some reseach it turns out to be original equipment. I guess the General had a brother-in-law in the chicken wire business :lol: :lol: :lol:
John.

I think in one of the catalogs they sells a filter for that area like on some of the newer cars. It is to filter out pollen and dust. I can't remember which catalog though....just FYI
Old 09-02-2001, 10:50 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you saw "Cowl Vent Screens" in an assembly manual, could that have been the plastic vent that is in the center of the hood that lets cold air in when you Stomp on the gas, otherwise known as Cowl Induction?

My 75 has those chicken wire screens at the corners of the windshield well, too. I believe they were there to stop leaves and crap from plugging up the drains around the windshield window well(?).
Old 09-02-2001, 11:21 PM
noxqsz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JR;

I have the same fine wire mesh screens on my '73. When you say chicken wire, I'm assuming you're not speaking literally. Chicken wire looks nothing like the screen that you're describing. I believe these screens are original, and I believe they are simply to help minimize the debris that gets into the plenum area. The illustration in the AIM is just not accurate. I've found several instances of that in the one I have. Illustrations are representational only.
Old 09-03-2001, 08:35 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 76 Cowl vent screens in windshield wiper area (noxqsz)

Yea, it's really not chicken wire. Chicken wire was more hexagon shaped wire mesh, I thought. This is more just like 1/2 " woven wire mesh.

What about the stuff that's poured around the mesh that looks like black tar? What exactly is that stuff? Black Gold, Texas Tea?
Old 09-03-2001, 10:45 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 76 Cowl vent screens in windshield wiper area (Rich's75)

It is definetly supposed to be there and yes it does look like chicken wire. It was put there starting in 73, I think, to stop all the owners and mechanics who complained about the nuts and other parts that would drop down into the void of the inner fender panel, never to be seen again. Don't ask me how I know.
Gary

Get notified of new replies

To 76 Cowl vent screens in windshield wiper area

Quick Reply: 76 Cowl vent screens in windshield wiper area