C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I check VIN for Stolen Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 10:12 PM
Salparadise71
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen / Missing 1971 Corvette.

On the same theme, Corvette VIN numbers etc, here is my story. I am a New Zealand resident, but lived near Pine Bluff Arkansas for a few years leaving in mid 2004 to return home for a few months.While I was away four vehicles of mine were disposed of or sold without my consent.Among these was my 1971 Corvette Coupe , four speed, pop out rear Window, non matching numbers engine sitting next to it on a stand, damage to front clip due to over width front tires.Damage to gelcoat due to heavy handed work by previous owner.Blue, Vin number :194371S119895 .I have the title and the keys.I fully intended to return for my cars.
I was told there was nothing I could do so I tried to forget it.But I am determined to get it back, it is still mine , and being a collector car, I am sure it has not been crushed and must still be around.Reward offered for return.Any advice regarding tracking nd tracing through VIN gratefully received, and please, no...."hard luck, you should have".......advice!!
Old 03-31-2017, 08:57 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm curious why they were sold without permission or consent? I'm a retired cop here in NY and my advise would be to report all the cars stolen. Unless they weren't?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:36 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ESU
I'm curious why they were sold without permission or consent? I'm a retired cop here in NY and my advise would be to report all the cars stolen. Unless they weren't?
I agree, I would report all stolen if you still have the titles and keys. Guessing this is a case where a disgruntled family member / wife (now ex), etc.. sold them off while he was out of the country.

Might be a statute of limitations on the reporting of them being stolen though.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

This thread is eleven years old. You say your cars were gone thirteen years ago (2004). There may be a statute of limitation on auto theft if you want to try to go that way. I don't know how you would approach filing US charges from New Zealand.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 03-31-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:17 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Call the police or sheriff or even the state police in the jurisdiction the cars were last known to be in.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Salparadise71
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for messages,here is the story of what happened.My lady-friend of over 5 years and I had a decided to take a break,due to a misunderstanding ( is that not always the case?!).I had to return to New Zealand and assist my elderly parents with selling their house,so we agreed it was timely that we should have some time apart.We were in touch by phone regularly,and it was agreed that I was returning.There was a period of a few weeks where we were not in touch.I rang her number ,found it was disconnected,so I called a neighbour who informed me that she had recently passed away.After calling a relative of hers who lived next door,I was informed that my vehicles and equipment,tools,etc were 'gone.'She had a large extended family,3 sons with wives,children,grandchildren,whom I got on very well with.However,they never took the trouble to inform me of my lady-friends passing,although there were contact numbers amongst her records.Also it appears they disposed of all my property immediately,so I would deduce there was some ill-feeling on their parts.Hence I have never contacted any of them about this.I am about to report the Corvette,1969 Cadillac Coupe,1985 Chevy Custom Dually / Suburban (stretched ) and 1984 Chevy C10 Pick-Up officially stolen on this Monday,USA time.The reason I have held off is : the interesting legal question arises,did the person or persons who sold the vehicles commit the act of theft by receiving money for some-one else's property,or did the buyer, by receiving the cars commit the theft unknowingly?I was reluctant to report them stolen,as I did not wish to get her sons into trouble,but after thinking on this I have decided to proceed,as I think I have been wronged by them.I do not think there is a Statute of Limitation on Auto Theft in Arkansas.If any leads surface,I am planning a trip back to the U.S.A.,and will be following up any leads.
I hope this gives a clearer picture,any advice and assistance gratefully acepted.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Looks like a Class C Felony:
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com...-arkansas.htm#

Statute of Limitations is three years.
http://law.justia.com/codes/arkansas...pter-1/5-1-109

IMHO it may be best to hire an attorney and let them untangle the mess.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 04-02-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:02 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Cheapest most effective action would be to contact the trustee of.the estate.and demand the return of your property. If you fail.to get action you will need an.attorney. I suspect these people likely have little , judged.by their actions. In that case call the police and attempt.to locate your property
Old 04-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

www.nicb.org

Quick Reply: How Do I check VIN for Stolen Car