C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I check VIN for Stolen Car

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 02:31 PM
GPD
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I check VIN for Stolen Car

Hi,

I am looking at buying a 68 vette I found in Dallas, Texas. It is titled in Florida and before I buy I am wanting to check to see if it is a stolen vehicle.

Does anyone know who you contact to run the VIN# to see if it is a stolen vehicle?

I have called the TX DOT and DPS and they send me to my local authorities(Police Department and County Registrar) and they send me back to the state departments(The typical government go nowhere circle).

Just in case someone out there has that capability the VIN is:
194378S418502

And if I am posting this in the wrong place I am sure you will be kind enough to let me know where it should be posted.
Thanks
GPD
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM
bwellisley
Pro

i'll ask my cousin to run it when he goes in this weekend, sat or sun...i'll let you know what he finds...i had him check on mine as well before i made my purchase.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:10 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't think there is any way you can absolutely guarantee the car was not stolen at some point in it's life, short of contacting every state DMV (and Canada?) and I doubt every one would be all that helpful. There should be a national registry, and if the car is not on that list, then it would be ok. That is one reason I don't post my vin online. I don't think the car was stolen, but I don't know the car's full history. What if it was stolen 20 years ago and the previous owner wants my (his) car back now?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:21 PM
TexasAxMan
Cruising

I agree with PRNDL, there's no way to be absolutely sure without a nationwide search.

On the other hand, if the seller has the original title in his name, at least the State of Florida doesn't think it is stolen, or the title wouldn't have been issued. You might want to call the Florida DMV since that is where the car is titled.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:23 PM
bwellisley
Pro

well, by checking before hand it saves you the worry. i was in MI, the car was in NJ, my cousin is in WV. he ran the VIN and it verified the information supplied by the seller, where it was registered, who the owner was, and who had the original lien.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:28 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try N.C.I.C.
http://www.fas.org/irp/agency/doj/fbi/is/ncic.htm
Old 08-04-2006, 03:35 PM
82MDVette
Drifting

When you run a V.I.N., it does search the national crime database. When a vehicle is stolen, the tags, V.I.N., and year make model are entered into the State system in which it was stolen as well as the N.C.I.C (National Crime Information Center) which is warehoused by the F.B.I..
So there is no need to run the V.I.N. in every state. Otherwise, all the criminal would have to do is drive your stolen Vette a few miles into the next state and it is no longer stolen property?
Vehicles are never purged from the system, so a vehicle stolen 10 years ago would still show as "STOLEN" with the local Police Agencies case number that took the report.
Just make sure you tag a look at the V.I.N. plate in the winshield closely. To deter theft, all automakers have to use the roset rivets (shaped like a flower with petals instead of round). If those rivets are not there, the V.I.N. may have been switched which a salvage or junkyard Vette's V.I.N.
Hope these clears it up a little.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:44 PM
LittleJake
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you run a V.I.N., it does search the national crime database. When a vehicle is stolen, the tags, V.I.N., and year make model are entered into the State system in which it was stolen as well as the N.C.I.C (National Crime Information Center) which is warehoused by the F.B.I..
So there is no need to run the V.I.N. in every state. Otherwise, all the criminal would have to do is drive your stolen Vette a few miles into the next state and it is no longer stolen property?
Vehicles are never purged from the system, so a vehicle stolen 10 years ago would still show as "STOLEN" with the local Police Agencies case number that took the report.
Just make sure you tag a look at the V.I.N. plate in the winshield closely. To deter theft, all automakers have to use the roset rivets (shaped like a flower with petals instead of round). If those rivets are not there, the V.I.N. may have been switched which a salvage or junkyard Vette's V.I.N.
What he said.

If you still dont know by Saturday I can run it when I get to work, PM me before Saturday afternoon if you havent found out by then.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:20 PM
GPD
Intermediate

Default Thanks!

Wow, didn't expect to get such a fast response! And helpful too!

In reply, I did go to Florida's Highway patrol site and you can actually do an online VIN and\or Title# search. Though it states nothing about whether it was stolen it was helpful to me in finding that the Title VIN has a typo, which is correctible in Texas.

bwellisley and LittleJake,

Thanks very much for the offers. I would appreciate it if you could do that for me. I have put off buying the vehicle until Monday.
Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

FYI, the rivets are available for sale for approx. $100 a set in several national magazines...................
Old 08-06-2006, 11:01 AM
bwellisley
Pro

the car is clean and the vin coms back to a 68 vette. however, it is not currently registered. it was last registered in carolina. good luck
Old 08-06-2006, 11:33 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 82MDVette
Just a quick note, not all of this is correct. Do you guys remember the 68 or 69 vert that was stolen and wound up in Cali prior to being shipped to an overseas buyer? It was being returned to its original owner from whom it was stolen in NY like in 1970. The cars vin was never changed and it had been registered/titled twice in the last 5 yrs, once in Texas and once somewhere else I happen to forget at the moment. The reason this is possible is that some states such as NY only keep stolen vehicles on file for 5 yrs. , after 5 yrs they are expunged.
However, since it basically shows as a clear vehicle, no salvage etc I wouldnt worry too much. Make sure as stated the VIN appears properly attached. If I'm not mistaken this vehicle is too old for a confidential VIN, one thats hidden in the frame /chassis. As long as the body style a\nd components all seem to match what the title says it is then you can be reasonably certain its not a 10-16 or stolen vehicle.
The only reason that stolen vert from NY was discovered to be stolen was that the Feds (customs) used a different database that goes back unlimited years.
ESU
Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
FYI, the rivets are available for sale for approx. $100 a set in several national magazines...................
Thats a bunch of money,,, it means I've been selling the few that I have much too cheaply,,, tried e-bay and was cancelled,,,prohibited item they claimed,,,,Peace,,,,Moosie
Old 08-06-2006, 11:44 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ESU
Just a quick note, not all of this is correct. Do you guys remember the 68 or 69 vert that was stolen and wound up in Cali prior to being shipped to an overseas buyer? It was being returned to its original owner from whom it was stolen in NY like in 1970. The cars vin was never changed and it had been registered/titled twice in the last 5 yrs, once in Texas and once somewhere else I happen to forget at the moment. The reason this is possible is that some states such as NY only keep stolen vehicles on file for 5 yrs. , after 5 yrs they are expunged.
However, since it basically shows as a clear vehicle, no salvage etc I wouldnt worry too much. Make sure as stated the VIN appears properly attached. If I'm not mistaken this vehicle is too old for a confidential VIN, one thats hidden in the frame /chassis. As long as the body style a\nd components all seem to match what the title says it is then you can be reasonably certain its not a 10-16 or stolen vehicle.
The only reason that stolen vert from NY was discovered to be stolen was that the Feds (customs) used a different database that goes back unlimited years.
ESU
I hate to tell ya but you are wrong about the car being too old for a hidden vin #. A friend had his '65 coupe confiscated by the N.Y.S.P after it was impounded when they raided a repair shop near Syracuse. they took the car apart and found that the vin. # under the glove box matched the one stamped on the frame , but what didnt match was the #'s on the transmission (a 4 speed) that he bought at a flea market. Seems the trans was out of a early '70s C-3 that was reported stolen way back in '73 in Elizabeth N.J. Nope he didnt have a receipt for the trans, but had everyother one to prove everything else was legit,,,,it sucked. Peace,,,Moosie
Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moosie982
I hate to tell ya but you are wrong about the car being too old for a hidden vin #. A friend had his '65 coupe confiscated by the N.Y.S.P after it was impounded when they raided a repair shop near Syracuse. they took the car apart and found that the vin. # under the glove box matched the one stamped on the frame , but what didnt match was the #'s on the transmission (a 4 speed) that he bought at a flea market. Seems the trans was out of a early '70s C-3 that was reported stolen way back in '73 in Elizabeth N.J. Nope he didnt have a receipt for the trans, but had everyother one to prove everything else was legit,,,,it sucked. Peace,,,Moosie
I said I wasnt sure about the confidential VIN and I stand corrected, been a while since I did auto theft,
ESU
Old 08-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Moosie, If your friend's car was at the shop legitimately, why did the cops take it apart? I'd be more than a bit annoyed...and I'm not sure what legal justifcation they could use for such an action. Did they have a valid reason to believe that stolen parts had been installed on the car?

The hidden serial numbers (not a true vin before '81) stamped on the frame or elsewhere were an on and off thing through the years. A lot of '30s and early '40s GM trucks have them, but then they vanish for quite a while starting in '47. Not sure when they came back...sometime well after '55.

Last edited by I'm Batman; 08-06-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 PM
moosie982
Safety Car

The shop involved was under survalience as a receiver of stolen parts and the '65 was pieced together with a lot of honestly obtained parts and looked it, so the cops thought they had a true outlaw on their hands and confiscated it and dismantled it down to the frame , did you ever try reasoning with the law when they are convinced of something,,,,useless,,,
Peace,,,Moosie

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I check VIN for Stolen Car

Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 PM
bwellisley
Pro

hey, look at the bright side...you got the nudge to start with your frame-off resto!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:35 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by moosie982
The shop involved was under survalience as a receiver of stolen parts and the '65 was pieced together with a lot of honestly obtained parts and looked it, so the cops thought they had a true outlaw on their hands and confiscated it and dismantled it down to the frame , did you ever try reasoning with the law when they are convinced of something,,,,useless,,,
Peace,,,Moosie
That's why you have courts...I'd have found a judge and got a restraining order. If he had the pile of receipts for the parts, I don't think a judge would have let them do that. And if I didn't stop them from doing it, I'd sue the bejezus out of them for every cent it cost to put the car back together - perfectly.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:07 AM
82MDVette
Drifting

You could attempt to sue, but you would never claim a dime. The disassembly appeared to be in "good faith" and that is all the court needs to uphold the Officer's claims.

Quick Reply: How Do I check VIN for Stolen Car