C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 11:58 AM
Bifkin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79?

How do you go about/how much can I expect to pay to convert to tilt? I'm a pretty big guy, and the wheel rests against my legs when I drive. Whats the difference (if any) between a Tilt wheel, and telescopic steering? Can I just get a steering column out of a 79 from a junkyard, or purchase one somewhere?

Thanks for the info.
Old 09-07-2001, 12:59 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79? (Bifkin)

There were two steering columns available in the C3 Corvettes from 1969 through 1979. There was the standard (non-adjustable) column and the T&T (tilt and telescoping) column. After 1979 (1980 through 1982) all Corvette columns were T&T. Both type steering columns will interchange in the car with respect to electrical connections and fasteners. There were a few changes that occurred from one model year to another. There never was a pure tilt column in a Corvette. They were always T&T. The telescoping part of the column occurred just below the steering wheel and was a telescoping shaft that could be locked by rotating a **** that was just under the horn button on the steering wheel.

In your 1979 Vette, you should be able to use any Corvette T&T column and steering wheel from 1978 through 1982. Make sure that you get the steering wheel, hub, and extension (a can like piece that covers the gap where your column telescopes), the appropriate tilt and turn signal levers, and make sure that you get the parts that adjust the telescoping part of the column. They fit on the driver side of the steering wheel. Make sure that the column comes with an ignition switch. Your standard column switch will not work. If for some reason you want to keep your same ignition key, you can swap your old ignition lock cylinder into the T&T column if you want to.

If you can find a 1978 thru 1982 Corvette T&T column in a salvage yard, that should work. Otherwise, some Corvette suppliers offer rebuilt steering columns. There is also a source that I found http://www.columnsgalore.com in New York that specializes in all types of steering columns. Again, make sure that you get a steering wheel, levers, the hub, the can (or extension), and the steering wheel telescope locking hardware with the column.
Old 09-07-2001, 01:30 PM
Bifkin
Racer

Default Re: Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79? (Jim Shea)

Thanks for the info, about how much should I expect to pay for all that?
Is there anything to look out for in buying it in junk yards/rebuilt?
Old 09-07-2001, 01:59 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Jim Shea -- a minor correction. For '68 only, an optional telescoping column was available. It did not have a tilt feature.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:53 AM
Bifkin
Racer

Default Re: Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79? (Easy Mike)

Does anyone sell a complete drop-in replacement (with all the parts?)

What steering wheels are nice?
I like the stock-looking, leather padded "x" type wheel, with polished crossmembers (i think thats the right word). My 79 has one of those "x" type wheels already, but its really crappy (no leather, made of plastic or vinyl or something bad). I saw a wheel I like on the eckler's catalog for $120. Is there anything specific to look for in a wheel?
Old 09-10-2001, 10:54 AM
Bifkin
Racer

I'm hoping to keep a stock-looking wheel, but if I found something really nice, I could change my mind.

This is the one I like: http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?d...&pf%5Fid=34011

[Modified by Bifkin, 9:01 AM 9/10/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79?

Quick Reply: Is it easy to add Tilt wheel to a 79?