C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

distibutor help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:57 PM
NICE 78
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default distibutor help!!

Another new guy situation. I changed the intake on my 78 L-48 and did a good job of marking the firewall for the rotor and the valve cover for the vac can. It all went together fine and started right up. I have read all the posts on timing and purchased a new timing light and all. Things went well with the adjustment to 12* BTDC with the vac off the vac can. I could only get an additional 12* of centrifical advance so I decided to do a vac advance kit and changed out the plate and weights. They look just like the picture for a clockwise distributor. Now my base timing mark is off by an aditional 21* and when I turn the distributor clockwise to bring back the timing back to 12* the engine runs terrible. I took off the lightest springs and put on the medium ones and the same problem?? I have had the distibutor cap, rotor and coil pack off so many times I can do it blindfolded. I have confused myself!! HELP!! Could the dist be off by one tooth?
Thanks, nice 78
Old 09-04-2006, 10:21 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds like you have the dist mis indexed. Bring the motor up on compression stroke for #1 and set the timing from there. There is a very good timing sticky at the top of the forum by Barry, use it
Old 09-05-2006, 06:39 PM
NICE 78
Intermediate

Hey Sixfooter,
I did the #1 plug thing and the rotor points to the #1 on the cap at the top of the compression stroke and the timing pointer is at 0. I have Barry's thread and even printed it for referance. The problems started when I screwed with the centrifical advance to try to get some more. I only had 12*-14*.
The engine starts and runs a little rough at 12* base timing. I can not even get the 6* that the factory setting asks for. As I advance the dist farther into BTDC, the engine runs much better. I even went to 22* and the idle was great!! I still don't get any centrifical advance. The weights are on for a clockwise turning dist, right?
I am lost and ready to pay(!!!!) for someone to fix it!!
nice 78
Old 09-06-2006, 03:34 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

The weights might be assembled backwards.

-Mark.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:35 PM
NICE 78
Intermediate

Hey Mark,
the weights are in right. As it turns out, the NEW timing light is screwed up!! I had a guy look at it with his light and all is well in VETTE-DOM!!

Nice 78

Get notified of new replies

To distibutor help!!

Quick Reply: distibutor help!!