C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Third Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Jclgodale3
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by saudivette
I'm not trying to make it a new car and it might sound "kinda Ricey" Jclgodale3,

Thanks, if I haven't totally alienated everone...
saudi...the Ricey suugestion was the thought of someone cutting out the fiberglass in the rear panel and adding lights. The bar light in the window doesn't look bad, even though I don't like it. Don't panic...your not gonna be alienated... without just cause anyway
Old 09-22-2006, 11:25 AM
karioth
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
They look cool, and are in fact an addition to the safety aspect.
I agree with him. When I drive (especially performance drive), I look several cars up since those cars dictate what is going to happen. Often times you cannot see the regular brakes light 2 cars up and can only see the 3rd brake light. Also SUV drivers are more likely to see you since you have a light that is higher up. I say do it, it beats putting a lot of work into your car then getting rear ended
Old 09-22-2006, 11:56 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hold on, I think I found it...still looking up the links.

Last edited by Durango_Boy; 09-22-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:04 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Thanks mate, I really do appreciate it. Yours sounds exactly what I want - unobtrusive but does the job

Yep, here's the one I have, exactly. It's cheap too. Here's the site link to buy it:
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi

Scroll down to item # WE6-197

If you can't buy and have it shipped to you, PM me and I will buy it and ship it to you personally. Here's a pic...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:39 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Yep, here's the one I have, exactly. It's cheap too. Here's the site link to buy it:
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi

Scroll down to item # WE6-197
Thanks Durango_boy. I couldn't get that link to work but I found the same one on eBay, new, for $6.99!

If you can't buy and have it shipped to you, PM me and I will buy it and ship it to you personally...
You are a CHAMPION Durango_boy and I really appreciate your help. Thanks again mate
Old 09-22-2006, 02:56 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Thanks Durango_boy. I couldn't get that link to work but I found the same one on eBay, new, for $6.99!
Sorry my link was busted...I checked, and the original works, but when I copy it it expires. I have no idea why it's doing that. Can you post the Ebay link? I'm interested in buying a backup or one for another car. Did the seller have more than one?

You are a CHAMPION Durango_boy and I really appreciate your help. Thanks again mate
No problem whatsoever...I'm just here doing my part. I hope you have luck, and post install pics.
Old 09-22-2006, 03:11 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

...Can you post the Ebay link? I'm interested in buying a backup or one for another car. Did the seller have more than one?...
I don't know if he has more than one. I had a look around his eBay store but didn't see one. The address is: http://stores.ebay.com/Global-Auto-S...nd-Liquidation

It'll be a while before I fit it as I'll be gutting the interior as soon as my harness comes from Lectriclimited. I'll fit the 3rd brake light on the "rebuild". I'll post some pics down the track though.

Thanks again for your help mate.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I don't know if he has more than one. I had a look around his eBay store but didn't see one. The address is: http://stores.ebay.com/Global-Auto-S...nd-Liquidation

It'll be a while before I fit it as I'll be gutting the interior as soon as my harness comes from Lectriclimited. I'll fit the 3rd brake light on the "rebuild". I'll post some pics down the track though.

Thanks again for your help mate.

I'm guessing you already ordered it. Don't wait and let someone else snag it. I won't look for one on Ebay until I know you have yours so I don't get it by accident.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:35 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Hehehe, yes I already bought it!
Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Hehehe, yes I already bought it!

Send or post pics when you get it...I would love to see that it is in fact the same as what I have. I'm very happy with it, and think it adds a whole new kind of look to the back of the Vette. You will be very happy. What color Vette is this brake light going on?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:12 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Send or post pics when you get it...I would love to see that it is in fact the same as what I have. I'm very happy with it, and think it adds a whole new kind of look to the back of the Vette. You will be very happy. What color Vette is this brake light going on?
No probs Durango_boy, I'll post some pics when it arrives. My Vette is 2 tone silver, well, silver on top and a metallic light grey on the bottom.

It might end up going in sooner than I think too, as Greg from Lectriclimited reckons my dash harness will be finished next week! Once it arrives, the original interior is LEAVING!
Old 09-25-2006, 08:16 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

No probs Durango_boy, I'll post some pics when it arrives. My Vette is 2 tone silver, well, silver on top and a metallic light grey on the bottom.

It might end up going in sooner than I think too, as Greg from Lectriclimited reckons my dash harness will be finished next week! Once it arrives, the original interior is LEAVING!

Boy you'll have some fun with that interior. It's a great opportunity to get to a lot of things people skip because they aren't that far in. I'm taking the same approach, and wiring a full stereo, sound and heat insulating everything, and replacing not only the carpet but the seats, and adding all new dash and console parts...plus gauges, keyless entry and power locks, and all kinds of cool stuff I never would have added if I didn't rip out the old interior. Big project, but lots of fun and progress.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:24 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

I'm keeping the standard seats, but nearly everything else is being replaced. It's a task I'm dreading but looking forward to at the same time...
Old 09-27-2006, 09:34 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

I'm keeping the standard seats, but nearly everything else is being replaced. It's a task I'm dreading but looking forward to at the same time...

I think the excitement you feel is the notion that you'll be driving it when you're done. The actual interior work sucks, and you hit a lot of speed bumps.

Example: My Vette, the one that's totally taken apart, went in the garage because of a single leaky caliper. Then, while I was waiting for a part, I started taking stuff apart inside. Next thing I know, I have no breaks, suspension, interior, and several thousand dollars worth of new or custom parts on the way. In that short time I added a Hydro, Jeep box, removable rear window, new suspension, new brakes, LED lights, now a new hood, custom seats, custom interior, bigger stereo...man.

All that when it just went in for a leaky caliper. I could have been driving it this whole summer if I hadn't ripped it all apart. Speed bumps are what's slowing me down.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Yeah, I know the feeling. When I first bought my Vette, the brakes were very bad. I tried bleeding them but couldn't sort it so I jacked the car and pulled calipers off. They were all shot and had corrosion pits in them. I scoured the net for a reasonable price that didn't depend on my calipers going back (cos I'm in Saudi and the shipping expense involved). I ended up ordering them through Fast Corvette. FOUR months later, my new calipers arrived. Sadly though, they had forgotten to send the brake pads that I had also ordered - they turned up 2 weeks later. Scratch THEM off my list of people to EVER do business with again...

Then I decided I wanted a new dash harness. Bought one from a moron on eBay a few months ago who swore it was for an 82. I got him to send it to Lectriclimited who told me it was an 81! Moron remains uncontactable - complaint lodged with eBay, PayPal etc... I finally found an 82 harness and Lectriclimited have nearly finished it. Should have it in a week or 2.

The headlight vacuum system didn't work at all and I needed them to pass the inspection so I decided to mod them to electric motors and that took me a while to adjust them to get them working properly. I had to fix the horn as well (inspection) and it took me a while to work out why it wasn't working, then get the parts from Ecklers. Finally got it all driveable again and thought that I should get new tyres. You wouldn't believe how hard it was to get tyres to fit the standard rims, and it took two weeks before I had some and had them fitted. Got a wheel alignment right away after and find that the front end needs sorting out - all the rubber bushes are now perished dust etc... I got Mike (traccdog2) to get me a kit, but it hasn't arrived yet. Fingers crossed, I'll have it tonight...

The car's still unregistered, although no one really gives a sh*t out here but I don't want to start regularly driving it until the front end's all sorted out, including the Jeep box mod. And, I'll probably actually wait until the interior's done too.

I'm outa here back to Oz in 3 weeks for a 5 week vacation. When I return, the weather will be a lot more tolerable for working outdoors so I plan to get stuck into everything then.

I can't wait to get it all done, but then again, I don't want it rule my life - I also have to go to work AND I play bass in a band AND I like to paint. Nothing like being busy to keep you ummmm..... busy, I guess!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Good luck with that list. Sounds like a lot of fun. Hey, there in Saudi...what kinds of cool Saudi beer do you have access to? Can you get Bud light?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:54 AM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Saudi Arabia is a DRY country - alcohol is illegal here. There are many brands of non-alcoholic beer (including Bud) available and I have heard rumours that some unscrupulous people, in flagrant disregard for the law, put the non-alcoholic stuff in a barrel with sugar and yeast and actually make alcoholic beer. I can't confirm that though...

I've read that Saudi Arabia has the largest expat community in the world. I've also read that Saudi Arabia is the largest consumer in the world of non-alcoholic beers and red and white grape juice

Can't see the connection myself

Get notified of new replies

To Third Brake Light

Old 09-27-2006, 11:02 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

You're from Australia right? That makes you a drinker by birth right? Isn't the thought of having a nice frosty cold brew making you antsy right now? It's only 10:00 am here, and I can't wait to crack one open this afternoon. I'm taking the 472 out of a '68 Fleetwood today...just got the hood off...and I'm gonna enjoy a few later today.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:27 AM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saudivette that is a fascinating story of the way things are there! Sounds like you could use a snow plow mounted on the front of your vette.

FYI go to the Canadian embassy if you want some decent beer.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

You're from Australia right?
Yes

That makes you a drinker by birth right?
Apparently

Isn't the thought of having a nice frosty cold brew making you antsy right now??
Hmmm....

Ripping the top of an ice cold can of VB is definitely better than the "reconstituted" stuff that's apparently available out here!

I'm ok, vacation in 3 weeks & 3 days, I'm ok, vacation in 3 weeks & 3 days, I'm ok, vacation in 3 weeks & 3 days, I'm ok, vacation in 3 weeks & 3 days

...I'm taking the 472 out of a '68 Fleetwood today...
I used to drive an old 4 litre 84 Caddy out here that I got the local mechanic to drop a 500 cube Caddy engine into. Hehehe, because the new engine was so much heavier, it dragged the nose right down. The level ride system (one of the few things that still worked), detected this and lowered the back end to suit - Instant Low Rider, just add big block! Man, that thing was DAMN FAST and DAMN SCARY!

Boofers, what I'd prefer is an M1 Abrams if you have one? Actually, one of these would do http://www.ibistek.com/jackal.php

Last edited by saudivette; 09-27-2006 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Third Brake Light