C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it?

thanks
Old 09-14-2001, 04:43 PM
1976C3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (Alwyn678)

Is the mirror loose at the mount to body or is the mirror loose at the pivot?

ie,..does it droop and tilt down as your driving? I had to take my mirros off and reseat them on the door then retighten them cause my mount was loose.

I have no clue how to tighten the mirror if its loose that the pivot ball.
Old 09-14-2001, 04:49 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (Alwyn678)

If it is loose on the ball pivot just put some lock tight on it. Set the mirror in it's normal position and let it set up. You will still be able to adjust but it will be alot tighter.
'Norval
Old 09-14-2001, 04:52 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

If the mirror is loose at the door;
Remove the inner door panel, 2 felt pads holding the door glass in place, and lower the window. You will see 2 nuts that attach the mirror, pry the door glass away from that side and block it back with a piece of wood or such. Tighten nuts.
If the mirror is loose at the attachment from the head to the stalk;
Procede as above except remove the 2 nuts. Remove the mirror. Inside the stalk you will see 2 screws. Tighten them. That will tighten the head to the stalk. Byond that you're on your own!
Old 09-14-2001, 04:54 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is just the mirror head loose or the whole mirror where it attachs to the body?

Body- One screw on the bottom side of mirror(straight slotted screw) can be removed and then mirror pulls straight up and off. Two screws to tighted bracket to body.

Mirror head- more of a problem. Mine was loose, as I have heard and seen a lot of them, and here was my temporary fix. Take mirror off body and set on workbench. Used a nail set or a punch and try to dent ball of mirror bracket a few times on different sides of the ball to "stiffen up" the swivel of the mirror head. It worked for a month or so. Then I ordered a new mirror from Ecklers and was not as happy with the style( not an exact reproduction and I'm kinda **** that way, sorry).

Hope this helps.
Rich

[Modified by Rich's75, 2:56 PM 9/14/2001]
Old 09-14-2001, 04:54 PM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (1976C3)

If it's loose at the pivot ball, you can remove the mirror from the base. Then. tilt it the other way and use a hammer and a center punch to put a bump on the pivot ball. Then, when you orient it back where you normally position it, it should hold its position. This worked for me on my '69. :cheers: :seeya
Old 09-14-2001, 05:01 PM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW!!!!! That's what I like about this forum. I was typing as fast as I could with my answer ( which is not very fast), and everybody else chimed in to help. That's what makes this country so great- EVERYBODY HELPING OTHERS. GOD BLESS THE USA.
Old 09-14-2001, 05:06 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (Rich's75)

That was incredible.....Talk about instant gratification............ :seeya
Old 09-14-2001, 06:15 PM
Koz

Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (1979toy)

I tried every which way and could not remove both bolts. Got one off but the glass was in the way on the second. Didn't want to remove the glass and all that.. just yet.. :(
Old 09-14-2001, 11:26 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

If you really want to do a permanent job of tightening up your mirror pivot ball, you have to remove the mirror glass. It really isn't that tough, I did mine over a year ago and it is holding great.
To get the glass out, take the mirror off the door and place it face down in an aluminum pie pan. Fill the pan up with gasoline, acetone or lacquer thinner. Set it outside someplace well away from any source of heat or spark.
Let it set overnight. In the morning, you should be able to lift the metal part of the mirror up and the glass should stay on the bottom of the pan. If it doesn't, let it sit longer. The glass will come out.
After the glass is out, you will see the inside of the pivot ball is held down by a metal strip that is riveted to mirror. Take a center punch and "peen" the inside of the rivets toward the pivot ball. A couple of shots is all it should take.
After you have tightened up the ball, you can glue the mirror back into the frame. Remove all the old silicon adhesive, make sure that the inside of the mirror is free of gasoline residue, clean it with lacquer thinner and let it dry.
Then use silicon adhesive to glue the mirror back in the frame. Let it set for at least 24 hours before you put the mirror back on.
I did not discover this myself, but learned it here on the forum over a year ago. I'm just passing it along, to help anyone who needs the info.
Old 09-15-2001, 01:33 AM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (Koz)

If you don't want to fool around with removing the door panel, glass felt pads, etc., then you can buy some rubber lined screws that will support the base to the fiberglass. Ask Riks or Zip about these screws. They are smaller but similar to the screws that hold the luggage rack onto the back deck. There is a name for such screws but the name escapes me right now.
Old 09-15-2001, 07:09 AM
LS1-Corvette00
Safety Car

Default Re: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it? (virtue4u)

Virtue4U,

They are called "Expansion Nuts" Basicly it is a metal nut that is molded into
a vulcanized rubber well plug. When you insert the Expansion Nut into the
hole in the door and then tighten the mirror base it expands the rubber on
the plug inside of the door and tightens down.

Get notified of new replies

To My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it?

Quick Reply: My side mirror is loose on the drivers side..How do u tighten it?