C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Allen's Exhaust Pipes on a 1980

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2020, 08:37 AM
dyanisis2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Installing Allen's Exhaust Pipes on a 1980

I picked up a set of the Allen's dual exhaust pipes and a set of mufflers. I noticed the pipes don't have any type of install brackets or anything welded to them. At this point, the exhaust will only be hung at the front manifolds, and at the rear hangars. Anyone out there that has an Allen's exhaust, did you have to fabricate the mid section mount to attach it the crossmember, in the same region where the original exhaust mounted? Is there a mount I should buy to secure it in the middle? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2020, 09:50 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Does your '80 still have the crossmember where the pipes go through it? I just replace the exhaust on my '72 with a set of Allen's exhaust, and in that location, there is a hanger bracket where the clamp fits over the bracket and holds the pipe right before it enters the crossmember. Make sense? On my '72, the only hanger locations are there at the cross member and at the tailpipe end of the muffler.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:05 AM
dyanisis2
Instructor

No, on the 1980 the pipes go wrap around the transmission and go under the crossmember. The stock exhaust had a hanger that attached to the side of the crossmember and held the pipe, but it was only a single pipe after the Cat. That hanger won't work for a dual exhaust setup.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:42 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,552 Posts

I did allens 79 no issues BUT , i have 2 holes in crossmember (last year for dual holes?)..and then they hang from a swapped out (from allens)..not sure if 80 hangs from one side from crossmember and you a dual bracket.. also pics much more helpful..
Old 07-24-2020, 11:36 AM
dwwhite
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently installed an Allen's Chambered system on my 81, same issue.
I ended up welding every connection, front to back, but also made a bracket to hang both pipes right behind where the cat used to be.
As I recall (without going out to look under the car) there should be a bracket above and slightly behind the cat. I cut a piece of angle iron, maybe 1.5x1.5x10, bolted it to the existing bracket, then secured both pipes to the angle with u-bolt style muffler clamps one size larger than the exhaust OD, in my case, they were 3".
It's still a longish run from the manifolds to the bracket, but it's better than just supporting it front and back.
Definitely not original, and won't win me any NRCS points, but that ship sailed a long time ago in my case.

ETA: I actually just fully read your response in post #3, it jogged my memory. There are two tapped holes in the cross member that held the original exhaust bracket. I used those holes to hang my angle.

Last edited by dwwhite; 07-24-2020 at 11:39 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 07:56 PM
dyanisis2
Instructor

Originally Posted by dwwhite
I recently installed an Allen's Chambered system on my 81, same issue.
I ended up welding every connection, front to back, but also made a bracket to hang both pipes right behind where the cat used to be.
As I recall (without going out to look under the car) there should be a bracket above and slightly behind the cat. I cut a piece of angle iron, maybe 1.5x1.5x10, bolted it to the existing bracket, then secured both pipes to the angle with u-bolt style muffler clamps one size larger than the exhaust OD, in my case, they were 3".
It's still a longish run from the manifolds to the bracket, but it's better than just supporting it front and back.
Definitely not original, and won't win me any NRCS points, but that ship sailed a long time ago in my case.

ETA: I actually just fully read your response in post #3, it jogged my memory. There are two tapped holes in the cross member that held the original exhaust bracket. I used those holes to hang my angle.
I started hanging the exhaust today and it's definitely too much weight to just hang from the front and back. I like you angle iron idea, having a hard time visualizing it though. Did you keep the original bracket, or remove it and bolt the angle iron directly to the cross-member? If there's any way you could grab a pic I'd appreciate it.
Old 07-25-2020, 08:26 PM
MattoonVette
Living the Vette life....
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 166 Posts

There was actually two brackets. One mounted under the transmission mount in front of the cat and the second behind the cat. You can just add a couple of hangers where the rear cat bracket was mounted for the two new pipes. You really don't need the one that was in front of the cat. It was needed to help support the weight of the cat as was the one after the cat.

This is the bracket after the cat.

this is the bracket that hangs in front of the cat off the transmission mount.

Last edited by MattoonVette; 07-25-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:36 AM
gguillot
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Check this out:

https://www.mamotorworks.com/corvett...systems-618957

Read about it in this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-install.html
Old 07-26-2020, 11:35 PM
dwwhite
Heel & Toe

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the delay, it’s been a busy weekend.
Hopefully this pic will suffice, I’d have put it on jack stands, but mine all got recalled. :-(

Don’t laugh...

The following users liked this post:
worship79 (07-29-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 11:45 PM
MattoonVette
Living the Vette life....
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 166 Posts

I built something similar to that out of stainless hangers. Took two of them, cut off the ends that didn't have the rubber isolators and then welded the two ends together. Looked a lot like the original hanger but had provisions for two pipes instead of one. Only thing I would suggest would be to put some type of rubber isolator between the cross member and the bracket you made. Otherwise there is nothing to prevent exhaust vibration transfer into the cross member and it gives you no flex point for the exhaust to move a little.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:58 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,552 Posts

how about calling allens? i bet you they have the bracket you need..

they were very helpful.. and yup only thing holding my 79 is from transmission crossmember to final exhaust tip hanger .. it holds fine.. also rock auto invest in those nice stainless clamps that are round..6 bucks each there.. really helped me with leaks and clean looking!!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...523362&jsn=443

Get notified of new replies

To Installing Allen's Exhaust Pipes on a 1980

Quick Reply: Installing Allen's Exhaust Pipes on a 1980