C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine rebuild guru's, what sealants to use when I put er back

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
RPOL36
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine rebuild guru's, what sealants to use when I put er back

I have the gasket set, all machine work is done she is ready to be put back.

went to advance to get some gasket sealant but theres some things I'm not sure of.

like do I use sealant on both sides of the gasket or just one side or on some gaskets none at all?

also should I use the gaskets that came with the kit for the front and back of the intake manifold or just use RTV? or use the gaskets and put a little sealant there too?? car is a 427/390 but is built back to pretty much stock performance nothing wild.

and at last what type of sealant where!? at advance auto they had all kinds of permatex RTV, they had "ultra black", blue tube, red tube, copper tube...........where do I use the different types?

also do you use any sealant on the head gaskets? they had some indian copper head gasket sealant...

all your advice is needed on this I want to do it right and not have any leaks when I start er up really need to know that info above and I know you guys probably know what to do so I appreciate any of your help as I am 23 and this is my first engine out/rebuild and so far it's been a blast leaning this stuff!

thanks
Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a 1/4 inch bead of sealant at the ends of the block instead of the supplied seals. I use sealant on both sides of the water ports at the end of the gasket. I prefer Ultra-black sealant. Nothing used on the head gaskets. After you set the intake gaskets on, put a dab where the corners of the intake and head meet prior to setting the head on.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 PM
sdkid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with big g. I will add that I use 3m weatherstrip adhesive to glue the gaskets to the tin and the t-stat housing. Beware though, it is a pita to remove if the need arises. Also a little liquid teflon pipe sealer on the head bolts won't hurt, and on the 4 center intake bolt. They go into the lifter valley and can seep oil.

Last edited by sdkid; 10-06-2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:50 AM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best rtv is the gray kind from gm. I've had the best luck with it and you don't get that nasty smell.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:52 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,597 Likes on 1,330 Posts

I use Permatex Ultra Black on the intake ends, form my own bead.
Permatex high temp thread sealant or #2 on the head bolts and other threaded bolts to seal.
I always coat both sides of gaskets, it's just the way I was taught 35 years ago. I've seen some guys use grease or nothing on gaskets and they leak everytime, maybe not right away but every part I saw sealed that way leaked.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:44 PM
RPOL36
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys, hey do I need to buy the red, blue & the black or is one kind of all around sealant?

thanks
Old 10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ttt

Get notified of new replies

To engine rebuild guru's, what sealants to use when I put er back

Quick Reply: engine rebuild guru's, what sealants to use when I put er back