C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the Pros & Cons of a Lightweight Reciprocating Assembly????

Old 10-09-2006, 05:38 PM
alnukem
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default What are the Pros & Cons of a Lightweight Reciprocating Assembly????

Always was curious, I know they say you "pick up RPM quicker" but did not know exactly what they meant & was too embarrassed to ask. Also, if you run a lighter Crank, do you have to pay special attention to the weight of the rods & pistons? Thanks.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

No cons but the higher cost for parts. The lighter weight makes more
power that would normally be waisted trying to spin a heavy crank,
rod , piston assembly.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 10-09-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:29 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alnukem
Always was curious, I know they say you "pick up RPM quicker" but did not know exactly what they meant & was too embarrassed to ask. Also, if you run a lighter Crank, do you have to pay special attention to the weight of the rods & pistons? Thanks.
The light weight stuff, really light weight stuff does not last as long. Super light weight cranks and rods are not as strong. I doubt you are talking about stuff that trick though.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:33 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

If car "A" weighs 3000 lbs and has a 500 hp 500 FP of tq 396 ci small block. Car "B" weighs 3000 lbs and has a 500 hp 500 FP of tq 396 ci small block.

It's just not the weight of the crank it's the total rotating package. Starting on the front of the motor damper weight, crank, flywheel or flexplate and torq converter weight clear back to wheels and tires.

So lets use a light weight parts on car "B" 5 pound damper instead of big 12 pound. 44 pound crank instead of 58. 22 pound fly wheel like I have instead of 40. I have 37 pounds of less rotating mass.

I don't have all the formulas. But my car "B" with everything else being equal will accelerate like a car that weighs 2700 pounds or something like that. To speed up rotational weight is a big amount of energy.

The gains don't end there. less rotational weight is less bearing friction and ware. Braking is greatly increased. The motor can change speed faster on every up or down shift. That is why cars like RedVetteRCR uses a 5.5 inch or something multidisk clutch. It makes his road racing vette up and down shift better because the rpm can be match relatively instantaniously.

The weight of the pistons and rods is fixed. You alter the crank throw weight to balance any motor
Old 10-09-2006, 06:58 PM
hubes
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
The weight of the pistons and rods is fixed. You alter the crank throw weight to balance any motor
this doesnt quite make sense to me. isnt the weight of the crank counterweights adjusted to work with the rods and pistons? which would mean with a lightweight crank and regular weight pistons and rods you would most likely end up adding weight to the crank. but at the same time ive never seen lightweight rods and pistons, well except aluminum and exotic stuff like that. I think im missing something, please fill me in.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

there are plenty of light steel rods lighter piston pins and pistons
availble. You would not want to go with to light of duty stuff for
the amount of RPM and HP you are after. A light weight piston and
pin as long as they are strong enough to do the job makes the rods
life a whole lot easier.

Last edited by Little Mouse; 10-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:54 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For street use the heavier rotating assembly is smoother off the line. The heavy flywheel helps pull the car from a dead stop.
You only have 8 cylinders and there is a series of firings. The heavier flywheel smooths out the pluses and makes for a smoother running engine.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:18 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by norvalwilhelm
For street use the heavier rotating assembly is smoother off the line. The heavy flywheel helps pull the car from a dead stop.
You only have 8 cylinders and there is a series of firings. The heavier flywheel smooths out the pluses and makes for a smoother running engine.
No Norval, You buy the altered firing order cam to smooth out the power! like the 4-7 roller i bought for my 427

I buy the big heavy H-beam rods that can handle the big power (685 gram Manley's) Then light weight racing pistons with strong pins. They end up drilling light weight cranks to balance them.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:48 PM
alnukem
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow...That's why I love this forum, I can post questions I have that no one I know knows & get answers that I understand without Quantum Physics! I appreciate that! So....if a fellow was going to buy a forged crank for a expected 500 hp street motor, he might as well get the 8 pound lighter crank if he had the extra "ching"? Now, longer rods with pistons with a lesser compression height are lighter than shorter rods with a bigger compression height? And, at what hp/rpm level does a "H" beam connecting rod make sense over a "I" beam?????
Old 10-09-2006, 10:07 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

What about internal balancing? I agree that in the best of worlds, having a engine with light weight recriprocal rotating parts is best. But also, I think for performance you need to have the engine internally balanced. To me, balancing the engine by putting weights on the flywheel and the crank damper, is just an expedient. Having an engine wiht unbalanced internal parts puts a lot of stress on crank bearings and also the crank itself. My opinion - yes minimize rotating weights of the engine parts and then.....add mallory weights (tungsten) to the crank throws to internally balance it.

I've heard of depleated uranium being used to internally balance engines also.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Depleted uranium makes for a great projectile in military weapons....hard, tough, breaks through anything.... But why in the world would I use that to balance a crank. I guess if I were a "huckster" maybe I could charge Big Buck$ for depleted uranium weights.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:18 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
What about internal balancing? My opinion - yes minimize rotating weights of the engine parts and then.....add mallory weights (tungsten) to the crank throws to internally balance it.

I've heard of depleated uranium being used to internally balance engines also.
All quality small block cranks are internally balanced. I have never in all the motors ever seen them having to add heavy metal slugs to the crank throws. People like me pay the extra amount to buy these light weight cranks. My new 4 inch stroker Callies crank is 45 pounds in my 427 small block. My 3.75 in my 383 is 42 pounds

Get notified of new replies

To What are the Pros & Cons of a Lightweight Reciprocating Assembly????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What are the Pros & Cons of a Lightweight Reciprocating Assembly????