C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tranny to get for my 78 w/500+ Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
vetteguy112233
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tranny to get for my 78 w/500+ Horsepower?

I've asked a similar question like this before when I had the money, but things happened and it wasn't possible to get a new transmission at that time, NOW I think I'm ready to start looking again and am seeking advice.

My 78 has the ZZ502 crate motor, stock rear end (not sure what gears) and stock Borg Warner 4 speed transmission.

The transmission is dying and I need to find a replacement that will handle 500+ HP. I like to race the car against anyone that will try, but will never be a full time racecar. I like to drive it on nice days and to work once in a while, but also like to take it out to the local 1/4 mile for the midnight drags to see what it can do.

I've been told to check out Keisler and Classic 5 speed, WHICH I HAVE, but was told by countless people that $3500-$4000 is way too much for a transmission.

Would it be cheaper to beef up my current transmission or are the two companies mentioned above my only option? A direct bolt in without any modification is preferred.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Little Mouse
Le Mans Master

Received 94 Likes on 81 Posts

if an overdrive is not important richmonds five speeds are not real
pricey they have street , drag race and road race versions of it.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:02 PM
72 LT1
Racer

Do a search for transmissions, there was a thread on Muncies w/ a link to a place that will build you a NEW muncie M20/M21/M22 w/ updated heavy duty case and all new internals. I beleive the M22 was about $2000, but not sure, its been a while since I've seen it. I've heard that those Super T10's are tough but I dont have 1st hand experiance w/them.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
75coupered
Instructor

Default Look at a TKO

I would suggest a Tremec TKO 5 speed, easily capable of 600hp and you get a .68 overdrive 5th allowing for some low reve cruising on the highway etc and great mileage.

Keisler Engineering may have a kit for the 502 check them out.
EDIT
Sorry you already mentioned Keisler, money's however you look at it, Keisler's kits are complete, meaning you won't be spending anything more. A TKO will run you about $1500 for starters, bellhousing $300-500, then you'll still have to fab up tranny crossmember, driveshaft shift linkage or adapt for location, etc. all the new hardware etc it all adds up, so their price is a good deal knowing you won't have to deal with all of these unknowns and engineering you'd otherwise have to do.

If the conversion can be done with minimal fab work and parts then source the TKO and bell yourself and take it from there. Great tranny, got over 60K miles on one with no issues

Last edited by 75coupered; 10-16-2006 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteguy112233

I've been told to check out Keisler and Classic 5 speed, WHICH I HAVE, but was told by countless people that $3500-$4000 is way too much for a transmission.
The GM TKO 600 lists at only $2700. That is the 650 hp model. I've seen places selling them delivered for $2100. I'd sell you mine for $2100 delivered. I still have the orginal box. It's the .64 OD 5 speed.

The shifter, new leather boot, reverse light wiring , neutral safety switch wiring, bigger u-joint output shaft is what drives the price up.

You can install it on the GM bell housing and clutch. It's strong tranny and weighs 105 pounds. Mine is just broke in. I want to sell mine because: 4th gear is 1:1 and 5th is .64 OD. Your 502 can take on the big jump. To me it is only a freeway gear that I have to be going pretty fast to even use it. I should have bought the .82 OD Road racing model and just changed my rearend gears to be able to use 5th gear.

I need the close ratio 5 speed to work with my 4.11 rear and high winding small block. You buy the RR model and I trade you for a good deal

Last edited by gkull; 10-16-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
0GENE-KEISLER SALES
Former Vendor

Default Big Power

Originally Posted by vetteguy112233
I've asked a similar question like this before when I had the money, but things happened and it wasn't possible to get a new transmission at that time, NOW I think I'm ready to start looking again and am seeking advice.

My 78 has the ZZ502 crate motor, stock rear end (not sure what gears) and stock Borg Warner 4 speed transmission.

The transmission is dying and I need to find a replacement that will handle 500+ HP. I like to race the car against anyone that will try, but will never be a full time racecar. I like to drive it on nice days and to work once in a while, but also like to take it out to the local 1/4 mile for the midnight drags to see what it can do.

Would it be cheaper to beef up my current transmission or are the two companies mentioned above my only option? A direct bolt in without any modification is preferred.

Hello Sir

A couple of things the motor you have has alot of power the TKO tranmissions will hold up to the 565 or so ft lbs of tourque no problem.

You will also appreiciate the gear ratios the TKO's have deeper 1st and second gears allowing for better acceleration. The OD will allow the new expensive motor to run cooler and deliver a little better fuel economy. We have a customer who has a 502 in a C2 and gets over 20 mpg on the hwy.

We do sell a complete set up that requires no modification of any kind.
It will be easy and complete you won't have to find any other parts. Our kit is designed to fit properly into your car with out modification a stock Tremec would require modification.

We give forum Discounts so the cost will be a little less to you give me
a call for any questions you may have. 865-609-8187 ext 211 Gene
Old 10-17-2006, 10:32 AM
0GENE-KEISLER SALES
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by gkull
The GM TKO 600 lists at only $2700. That is the 650 hp model. I've seen places selling them delivered for $2100. I'd sell you mine for $2100 delivered. I still have the orginal box. It's the .64 OD 5 speed.

The shifter, new leather boot, reverse light wiring , neutral safety switch wiring, bigger u-joint output shaft is what drives the price up.

You can install it on the GM bell housing and clutch. It's strong tranny and weighs 105 pounds. Mine is just broke in. I want to sell mine because: 4th gear is 1:1 and 5th is .64 OD. Your 502 can take on the big jump. To me it is only a freeway gear that I have to be going pretty fast to even use it. I should have bought the .82 OD Road racing model and just changed my rearend gears to be able to use 5th gear.

I need the close ratio 5 speed to work with my 4.11 rear and high winding small block. You buy the RR model and I trade you for a good deal

George I was told this morning you can buy the different gear to convert to .82 for around $500-600 dollars I think it was Dark horse has this conversion.

you may want to check them out.

Get notified of new replies

To What tranny to get for my 78 w/500+ Horsepower?

Quick Reply: What tranny to get for my 78 w/500+ Horsepower?