C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up w/ my accessory drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 PM
nelson71
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's up w/ my accessory drive?

My 71 has its original 350 270hp engine, most of which is #s matching. For some reason the previous owner shimmed the PS pump bracket with 2 big washers and shimmed the alternator bracket w/ 3 big washers. I would like to have everything fit correctly and properly the way it should. Does anyone have any suggestons on where to start?

how can I tell if I have the right brackets? the right pulleys, etc?

My car has no a/c so the PS pump, water pump, and alternator are the only things being driven
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

How about some pics.It will make it much easier to help.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

It probably has a standard short water pump on it ... and not the correct short "vette" pump for a 71 which is a bit longer than a std short pump. Your situation is not uncommon.

I am NOT referring to a "long" pump.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:46 AM
nelson71
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have found the first problem. I have 2 RH exhaust manifolds rather than the correct LH manifold that has the casting on the front for the alternator bracket. Since this is wrong the alternator bracket that I have is obviously wrong too.

I can't get any good pics of the complete engine together because I have a head off right now. One of the bolts holding the alternator bracket to the head broke off in the head. After many failed attempts at removing the bolt, I finally pulled the head and took it to a machine shop.

Get notified of new replies

To What's up w/ my accessory drive?

Quick Reply: What's up w/ my accessory drive?