C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning for Beer World Tour in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:34 AM
Cobaltblue 72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning for Beer World Tour in San Diego

I would like to set up a tour in San Diego to have Lars do what he does best for forum members and others that are interested. Several other folks from this area have contacted him for a tour. Any and all interested PM me so we can organize this event.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2006, 03:49 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

I can PM you his e-mail address, he always responds to all e-mails. If I had a place of my own to hold a tuning for beer session I definitely would, but alas I don't have that sort of luck. However, I'd LOVE to meet the infamous Lars Grimsrud in person. My vette is DYING for his attention right now and from what he's told me he likes San Diego.

Hope this comes sooner than later.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Abe has e-mailed me for the Tuning Tour info sheet. But 2 other people from the SD area have also been sent the info - for this reason, I asked Abe to post up a notice here so that perhaps the other people who are working the same issue can all get together on this... I receive so many technical e-mail requests that I don't keep all my past correspondance - I don't know who requested the past info...

Abe - you might want to copy your post here on C3 Tech and run one over on the C1/C2 Forum as well - there is always good interest in the Tours over on that Forum, too.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:56 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If Lars comes to SD, I'd be willing to make the drive down from Orange County to have him take a look at my 72. Keep me posted on this. Here's my email address at work, wloo@mmsa.com
Old 11-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

I believe beejay was also interested in it. Hopefully he'll take notice of this thread soon, too. I'll be willing to give any assistance that I'm able to do, also. We've got Karl Strauss here, also, Lars.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:31 PM
427-390
Drifting

Make the trip, you will not be disappointed. Our TFB was great!

Originally Posted by asianlimodriver
If Lars comes to SD, I'd be willing to make the drive down from Orange County to have him take a look at my 72. Keep me posted on this. Here's my email address at work, wloo@mmsa.com
Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

San Diego is four hours away, but I'd come to San Diego to get Lars to tune my Vette. Keep me posted.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:48 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You missed it! We had him here at my house, two summers ago
Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

2 summers ago... 2004? I still had my Camaro back then, no fair.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:27 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kalway
2 summers ago... 2004? I still had my Camaro back then, no fair.
Yea. /*** BUT ***\

if Lars *WAS* going to come back here to SD then I would be not only stereophonically amplified and overjoyed, but very happy to hold the event here in my garage again.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Where in San Diego do you live again Paul?

I see no reason why Lars wouldn't want to come out here. What's not to like? We've got weather, beer, and awesome Corvettes.

I hope Lars isn't a Broncos fan, though...
Old 11-15-2006, 06:21 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Any timeframe on dates? I'm off work between Christmas and New Years. That would be too good to be true to have it during that time. What does Lars tune. I have a stock small block with a mild cam. I'm planning on putting on a new performaer manifold with a street avenger 670cfm carb. If he could dial this in for me, that would be great.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Only carbs, that I know of, that Lars doesn't like are Carter and Carter copies. (Edelbrock 1400 and 1600 series) Holley, BG, and q-jets are preferred.

And I don't think he dials it in FOR you but rather teaches you how to dial it in, so that you can do it yourself from then on and after.

If he's out here in late December, that'd rawk because my buddy in the Air Force is going to be down from Utah and I'd bet he'd be interested in seeing how this all works.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:07 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

That's even better. I'd rather have him teach me so that I can do this myself. I used to wrench on cars a little back during my high school days, but not until recent when I bought my vette. It's fun to work on a car for enjoyment vs. out of necessity.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:15 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Where in San Diego do you live again Paul?

I see no reason why Lars wouldn't want to come out here. What's not to like? We've got weather, beer, and awesome Corvettes.

I hope Lars isn't a Broncos fan, though...
I am in Fletcher Hills, just 10 min East of Mission Valley. near the 125 and 8 Freeways.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:42 AM
RIJVETTES
Burning Brakes

I live in Poway- north san diego county, and would be interested to attend. Hope this works out. Jim
Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

Ah I'm in Mira Mesa. Stand outside my girlfriend's house (which is 1 mile from my house) and you'll hear a civic with a fart can going down Mira Mesa Blvd. every 5 - 15 minutes.

I would guess that we'd get a pretty large sized gathering to greet lars so we may need more days.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning for Beer World Tour in San Diego

Old 11-17-2006, 11:04 AM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Kalway]you'll hear a civic with a fart can going down Mira Mesa Blvd. every 5 - 15 minutes.
QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth! I'm also in Manilla mesa off SV road and about once a week see evidence of a ricer that thought it could make the turn at 80 but didn't.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:26 PM
427-390
Drifting

Kalway,

Not entirely true. Lars will first go over the theory of timing and how important it is to get this dialed in. Then he starts with the cars by first plotting the intial settings, and in most cases pull the distributor, make adjustments or repairs, re-install, re-calibrate or adjust the timing, pull the carb, diagnose it's ills, repair/replace any parts, re-install the carb, get the vacuum and idle settings correct, and then you can take it for a test drive.

During the time this is taking place, you learn how to do this. Lars will get you involved in every step of the way. Believe me, when you see how this is done, you will not be tenative or in any way intimidated if you ever try to do this on your own. Lars uses a very logical and methodical approach that almost anyone can do. I hope you are able to attend. Well worth it.

Tony

Only carbs, that I know of, that Lars doesn't like are Carter and Carter copies. (Edelbrock 1400 and 1600 series) Holley, BG, and q-jets are preferred.

And I don't think he dials it in FOR you but rather teaches you how to dial it in, so that you can do it yourself from then on and after.

If he's out here in late December, that'd rawk because my buddy in the Air Force is going to be down from Utah and I'd bet he'd be interested in seeing how this all works.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
Cobaltblue 72
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Tuning for Beer World Tour in San Diego

We've had several people that are intersted in the San Diego Tour. A possible date for this event is sometime in early 2007, maybe February. I will need a firm comitment form those of you that are intersted in this event. Especially, those that will have work done on their cars. Currently, we have 3-4 cars. For a one day event 4 cars will work. If more folks want to have work done on their cars then we would schedule a two day event. Typically, the one day tours are on Saturdays, the 2 day tour are Friday and Saturday. This event is helpful not only to those that will have work done on their cars, but for all interested in learning about timing, carburation and having a good time doing it.

I will forward Lars ground rules for these events for those that are intersted.

Quick Reply: Tuning for Beer World Tour in San Diego