C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Droopy sun visor

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Droopy sun visor

My Driver's side sun visor keeps drooping (flopping down) unlike the passenger side which stays up nice and tight. I know this is because the Driver's side gets used alot more than the passenger side. Does anyone know how to fix this problem without having to replace the whole visor, my visor is original and in very nice shape and I'd like to keep on the car. I also have a burned out bulb in my speedometer and I'm going to drop the dash to change the bulb. I figure while I have it down I'll change all the bulbs on the speedo and tach so that I only have to do it once. Does anyone how many bulbs are back there on the speedo and tach?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:50 AM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the redneck way but it works fine. Take the visor off the rod, put a towel around the part where it slides in and mash it in a vise. (don't mash it completely flat of course) Sounds like cruel and unusual punishment but it works great. I had to do my passenger side. It didn't leave a mark and it stays up.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Restorod '79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think you want to drop the dash to change a bulb! Do the back crawl on the floor and twist and pull the little sockets. There are six or seven of the little 194 push-in bulbs around the perimeter of the tach and speedo. You probably can't see them, but you can feel your way around. I think the wires are gray.

Taking the dash apart is not that hard if you have the manual to guide you---- Putting it BACK TOGETHER is nothing short of magic.
Just my .02
Old 11-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Restorod '79
I don't think you want to drop the dash to change a bulb! Do the back crawl on the floor and twist and pull the little sockets. There are six or seven of the little 194 push-in bulbs around the perimeter of the tach and speedo. You probably can't see them, but you can feel your way around. I think the wires are gray.

Taking the dash apart is not that hard if you have the manual to guide you---- Putting it BACK TOGETHER is nothing short of magic.
Just my .02
I really don't want to drop it, it's a crazy way to change bulbs, however the GM Service Manual says to pull the front panel. I tried wiggling myself around under there and it's almost impossible to reach anything, plus I did'nt feel any of the bulb sockets. I figure while I have it down I can replace the vacuum lines for the headlights and replace my broken trip odometer reset cable as well.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

As stated above: The "C" shapped channel that holds the visor rod can be crimped down a bit to tighten up the rod. Carefull not to crush it closed! Pulling out the top dash cap, and loostening the drivers dash to pull it out some (not total removal) will give you access to most if not all bulbs. Some from below, some from above.
Eddie
Old 11-23-2006, 05:08 PM
copter
Drifting

You might do what I do whenever I have to get under the dash.I take out the seat.That way It's much easier on your back and you'll find that you can stay down in their and take a good look around to see if anything else needs att.or cleaning.I'll be right back,I've got to go out in the garage and do the redneck thing.Thanks!!!
Old 11-23-2006, 05:42 PM
carl a
Safety Car

i just crimped it without removing the rod and its been fine for years

Get notified of new replies

To Droopy sun visor

Quick Reply: Droopy sun visor