C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ah it feels good to be right (brake booster)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ah it feels good to be right (brake booster)

Well at least mostly. There's a new master cylinder and new brake booster in place now. I also got the timing set to 34 total centrifugal advance, so we're good there too. Guess what? NO MORE HESITATION! It was thanks to the new brake booster! I had a feeling there was a leak in there somewhere and that was causing a lean condition, ding ding I was right. I took it for a spin around the block real quick and man I didn't know the brakes could work that good! It feels like a real vette again! I left it back with Big O and let them finish replacing one of the wheel studs because they broke one when they were removing the wheels on monday. No biggy since they took responsibility and are fixing it.

I must say, for a chain shop like that they definitely have excellent people working there. Total labor bill will be like $160 I think, with replacing the master cylinder, booster, and setting the timing. (I woulda set the timing myself but I don't have an adjustable timing light )

Can't wait to autocross it up! I tell ya, though, when lars comes out here he isn't really going to have much to do to my vette. Oh well, least I can enjoy what it is till then and then enjoy it even more after that.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:42 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Congrats on getting it fixed!

I agree with your assesment of Big-O tires as well. After I finished my front end work, I went to my local Big-O to get the allignment done. i know the manager and have been using them for years for tires. He told me that he had a really knowledgable guy but he was away a college. He asked me if I could wait till spring, but i didn't want to so we went ahead with another guy in his shop that the manager said was almost as good. I got a call an hour later and the tech said that I was already close enough for the time being and to wait for the "old man" to come back in spring as he didn't think he could do all that much better than I did. Picked it up and they didn't even charge me.

Is this the first time that you've really had it out since all the engine mods?
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 PM
asianlimodriver
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on getting your car squared away. I'm looking forward to the Lar's tour in San Diego myself. My car can really use his help. I just hope the weather holds out for us to drive down. Will the gathering be held at your place?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's my understanding that the tour is going to be at Paul's place, but I'm not 100% sure on that yet.

I've never really let the vette rest, actually. It's my only vehicle right now and the only rest its had has been in shops and while I was in Tucson for Thanksgiving weekend. Otherwise I give it a good beating all the time. I tell ya, the timing was REALLY retarded. We had to advance it quite a bit to get it to 34 total. Those light springs in it bring the advance in QUICK, though. At 1k rpm the advance is already starting no complaints from me, though. It goes good now.

Still wish it could spin the wheels from idle, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Ah it feels good to be right (brake booster)

Quick Reply: Ah it feels good to be right (brake booster)