C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'63-'79 Pinion Seal Replacement Pictures!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 07:54 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,613 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Default '63-'79 Pinion Seal Replacement Pictures!!!

OK I know you guys wait for these posts like you used to wait for the next issue of Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four or the next episode of the "Willd,Wild, West"! Ah the good old days!

Since there have been a few posts lately on replacing the pinion seal in the differential I figured I would post some pictures for those of you wanting to do this job!!! Doing it on the car just plain sucks unless you have a lift. I prefer to have the differential out to check it out anyway. Since some of you like to replace the side yokes then this is also a good time to replace the pinion seal too.

I have a differential in from another forum buddy for a check and to replace the yoke seals and bearings. So it is not going to look real fancy here like when I blueprint a differential but I think you'll get the point. Besides, I don't see anyone else in the business writing these posts!! LOL

Ok, here we have a rather typical differential in good shape and no noise complaints. I installed the yokes and seals then tested it by leaving it on the stand pointing down with oil in it. After a couple of hours it looked good and since there was no complaint on the pin seal I added all the oil and buttoned it up. 8 Hours later I found it was leaking.

Ok so first I saw someone was in here before! They did witness mark the diff with a grinder. That's ok as it isn't going to fade away!

Before breaking it down I checked the rotational torque. This is the only reference point I have. The witness marks are good but I wanted to know exactly what was going on here.

Pulled the nut & washer and didn't see any sign of sealant.

Pulled the yoke and found a rolled seal,no sealant on the splines but otherwise not too bad. The seal was hitting the pinion deflector though.

Next post - Install

Stay tuned!

Last edited by GTR1999; 12-18-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:10 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Install Time

Blasted the yoke, cleaned it, then polished the OD. It still looks ok otherwise I would have added a special speedy sleeve.

Here is the new seal, use a good one guys. I've seen some cheap ones being sold. If you need a good one let me know I have the good stuff LOL!!

Grease the spring and seal ID

Install, this one had a gap of about .080" This will vary a bit so check the depth of the counterbore and seal.

Slap some old school #2 on the ID

Install the yoke,washer, nut and use #271 on the cleaned pinion threads! Bring to the witness marks, in this case I was shooting for the torque more then the marks. I got to 10-11 in/lbs and the marks were off. I slowly brough up the marks and the torque was up to 15in/lbs too high for used bearings. So I backed it off and brought it back to the 10-11. The nut was tight, I didn't feel any endplay and there was no more noise when I spun the yokes/pinion. I'll leave it up overnight to let the RTV setup on the seal OD and then oil test it again. This is as good as it gets. If the drag was way off then the crush sleeve would have to come out and then you get more involved then you might want to!

The following users liked this post:
gjhinc (10-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2006, 08:56 PM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary, I used this method and I believe it was you who suggested doing the pinion seal replacement this way. I did mine in the car, taking my time. Hasn't leaked a drop in 1.5 years and counting.

Thanks for your time on the pics.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:15 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 547 Likes on 315 Posts

Another great pictorial 'how to' layout, Gary. Nice depth of field on the close-up pics, too.
Thanks for bringing it to us in living color! ..
Old 12-22-2006, 10:54 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Follow up, no leaks after 72 hours full of oil.

Old 12-23-2006, 02:40 AM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTR1999
Install Time

Blasted the yoke, cleaned it, then polished the OD. It still looks ok otherwise I would have added a special speedy sleeve.

Here is the new seal, use a good one guys. I've seen some cheap ones being sold. If you need a good one let me know I have the good stuff LOL!!

Install, this one had a gap of about .080" This will vary a bit so check the depth of the counterbore and seal.

Install the yoke,washer, nut and use #271 on the cleaned pinion threads! Bring to the witness marks, in this case I was shooting for the torque more then the marks. I got to 10-11 in/lbs and the marks were off. I slowly brough up the marks and the torque was up to 15in/lbs too high for used bearings. So I backed it off and brought it back to the 10-11. The nut was tight, I didn't feel any endplay and there was no more noise when I spun the yokes/pinion. I'll leave it up overnight to let the RTV setup on the seal OD and then oil test it again. This is as good as it gets. If the drag was way off then the crush sleeve would have to come out and then you get more involved then you might want to!

GOOD THREAD. I NEED TO DO THIS TO MINE. AFTER SENDING IT OUT TO TEXAS TWICE,IT WASN'T FIXED. WHAT IS # 271?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:44 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

271 is Loctite thread locker avail just about anywhere.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You must mean sealer not locker??

I always use permatex anaerobic sealer for the splines, it's ticky black tar like goo.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:47 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Install the yoke,washer, nut and use #271 on the cleaned pinion threads! Bring to the witness marks, in this case I was shooting for the torque more then the marks. I got to 10-11 in/lbs and the marks were off. I slowly brough up the marks and the torque was up to 15in/lbs too high for used bearings. So I backed it off and brought it back to the 10-11. The nut was tight, I didn't feel any endplay and there was no more noise when I spun the yokes/pinion.

So you want to just slightly preload the bearing. Glad i saw this as i was under the impression you needed to retorque it to spec. I also thought that the pinion nut is a locking nut requiring considerable force to spin it. Learning good stuff here.

Have you torn into the 3.08 diff i traded you?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 PM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

this is great i have that leak in mine and shall change that seal soon,this makes it much easier
Old 12-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

271 is Loctite thread locker avail just about anywhere.

How much is freight usually run to have a rear end shipped out, and is there a flat fee for service?
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (04-22-2016)
Old 12-23-2006, 01:28 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
You must mean sealer not locker??

I always use permatex anaerobic sealer for the splines, it's ticky black tar like goo.
No, 271 is thread locker. I use it on the pinion nut. I use the #2 on the splines and Ultra black on the seal OD.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:46 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by turtlevette
So you want to just slightly preload the bearing. Glad i saw this as i was under the impression you needed to retorque it to spec. I also thought that the pinion nut is a locking nut requiring considerable force to spin it. Learning good stuff here.

Have you torn into the 3.08 diff i traded you?
No I haven't had time to open that 308 up yet. still sitting there waiting like the 82 was!!LoL

When replacing just the seal you want to get everything bad to where is was- hopefully there was no noise from overloaded bearings! This was worked on before and it must have been leaking but my buddy cleaned it up pretty good before bringing it in. Who ever installed the seal left is up as it was hitting the dust shield too. The seal itself was rolled I'm gussing it was cocked by a hammer when installed along with no sealant.
The pinion nut is a locking nut and usually it is replaced when the diff is overhauled but since this was a repair and the preload needed to be as close to where it was the nut was reused. The 271 is the same Red I use on ring gear bolts so it should be ok. I use their primer as well. Clean everything first with brake cleaner.
AS for torquing it, I check it prior to removal and then reset it to that point with the inch/pound wrench regardless of where the witness marks were. In this case they were very close but I kept the torque at 10-11 in/lbs as it was.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:14 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

In this case they were very close but I kept the torque at 10-11 in/lbs as it was.
I assume it takes some torque to turn the locknut so would you take note of that and add the 10 in/lbs to that number?

I would guess that it would take more than 10in/lbs just to get that nut to move.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:15 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, 271 is thread locker. I use it on the pinion nut. I use the #2 on the splines and Ultra black on the seal OD.

I read your post wrong..somehow I read you used thread locker on the splines
Old 12-23-2006, 03:13 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Twin_Turbo
I read your post wrong..somehow I read you used thread locker on the splines
No that wouldn't work out too good!
Old 12-23-2006, 03:15 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by turtlevette
I assume it takes some torque to turn the locknut so would you take note of that and add the 10 in/lbs to that number?

I would guess that it would take more than 10in/lbs just to get that nut to move.
I hold the yoke by hand and bring the nut down till it bottoms on the washer. I don't overtighen it but it shoudl be close to the marks. Then I check the drag and usually will tweek it a bit after that.

Get notified of new replies

To '63-'79 Pinion Seal Replacement Pictures!!!

Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Install Time

What brand seal and part number do you use?
and what is number 2 that you mention above on the inside ID? is that on the splines. Good thread.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:19 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by babbah
What brand seal and part number do you use?
and what is number 2 that you mention above on the inside ID? is that on the splines. Good thread.
Gary hasn't posted here since '09. You could try sending him an email and see if that gets through to him. gary.ramadei@radiall.com

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 04-22-2016, 04:30 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Thanks Gusto!

Quick Reply: '63-'79 Pinion Seal Replacement Pictures!!!