C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T5 swap into 72 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 12:50 PM
srmcclean
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 swap into 72 Corvette

Hello Guys,

I just purchased a 91 Camaro 5.0 RS with a T5. I bought the car to use as a parts car to do my vette T5 swap. I know Bernie has done a ford T5 swap and has provided me with invaluable information, but has anyone done the GM T5 swap in a c3 with the fixed 4 speed trans crossmember. I have the entire Camaro so I have all the parts available to me. Any guidance from those who have done the swap would be helpful.

Thanks
Randy
Old 12-28-2006, 01:01 PM
evalu8r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can search for my post, I put a T5 chev in my 79. Mine was auto to man. If you search others converting 4 speeds have cut and moded the cross member. It's real easy and the by far one of the best mods.

Chris
Old 12-28-2006, 01:56 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by srmcclean
Hello Guys,

I just purchased a 91 Camaro 5.0 RS with a T5. I bought the car to use as a parts car to do my vette T5 swap. I know Bernie has done a ford T5 swap and has provided me with invaluable information, but has anyone done the GM T5 swap in a c3 with the fixed 4 speed trans crossmember. I have the entire Camaro so I have all the parts available to me. Any guidance from those who have done the swap would be helpful.

Thanks
Randy
Yes, I'm almost positive that "silverslashstreak" used the GM version T-5 with great success. Do a name search here for him and PM him or call for him on a thread?
By the way, once your done with the conversion, you'll be amazed at the difference the 5 speed makes.
P.S. I'll be glad to offer any tech help I can for you during this process. Simply PM me(I'm on here everyday) or call me at 865-609-8187 x201 or e-mail me at customerservice@keislerauto.com

Richard
Tech Support
Keisler Engineering
Old 12-28-2006, 02:44 PM
srmcclean
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys,

Hats off to Richard at Keisler for offering help on my DIY swap.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srmcclean
Thanks for the replies guys,

Hats off to Richard at Keisler for offering help on my DIY swap.
The other vendors sure could use some customer support guys like Richard. In my estimation, customer support is the most important department of any business. We all know it pays off in the end. Hats off to Keisler for guys like Richard and Gene.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:01 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Binnie77
The other vendors sure could use some customer support guys like Richard. In my estimation, customer support is the most important department of any business. We all know it pays off in the end. Hats off to Keisler for guys like Richard and Gene.

Richard is a great asset. He's a smart and realistic guy. He knows well, that if all of us could afford a complete Keisler kit, we would. we all know how wonderful they are, and that it's top of the line.

If I could afford one...I would get one. He also is a car enthusiast, and knows that if someone can't afford a Keisler, they're gonna do it themselves with a cheaper 5-speed. If he helps, they remember.

Years later, that same guy is doing a hot rod project, and has the budget for a Keisler...Keisler gets the call. Lots of back scratching and customer service for fellow car guys.

I love this place...and eagerly for more info on the GM T5. I have not seen or heard of this swap, only the Ford version...so I want all the info I can find.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:20 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Thanks to all for the kind words. :o
The important thing here is to get the 5 speed conversion done and really enjoy the vette for what it should've been from the beginning.
P.S. The name might of been "silverstreakslash". Sorry, funny name can't quite remember but it is definitely one of those spellings.

Richard

Last edited by rj8806; 12-28-2006 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:43 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

I found him He is silverslashstreak and I sent him a PM and asked him to check in here to this thread for help.
Jeez, who knew there were 240 pages of members whose name started with "S"???

Richard

Last edited by rj8806; 12-28-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:44 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At the top of the page under Other is the Members List. It's quite lengthy because it lists all members from all forums, but you can jump to S and find a "silver" name that looks right. You can then search for posts by that member and find the ones that have info on the T5 swap.

Rick B.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:55 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rj8806
I found him He is silverslashstreak and I sent him a PM and asked him to check in here to this thread for help.
Jeez, who knew there were 240 pages of members whose name started with "S"???

Richard

I tried to find a guy with a 'T' once, and I didn't even know the full name. It took me forever...so I feel your pain. Thanks for the extra effort.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:33 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey SRM, Richard ask me to chime in over here. I did a little write up on the C2 forum on installing the T5 Camaro in my 63. There was some good discussion and pic from different guys, I am trying to find it in the archieves, maybe I can find it tomorrow and put a link up.

SSS
Old 12-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Hey SRM, Richard ask me to chime in over here. I did a little write up on the C2 forum on installing the T5 Camaro in my 63. There was some good discussion and pic from different guys, I am trying to find it in the archieves, maybe I can find it tomorrow and put a link up.

SSS

Glad you found your way here. I'm interested, as my next Vette will get a T5 too.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Have 1 in my 73 although the 4th gear sycro is toast (need to pull and rebuild it) but if you are going to have 1 gear to skip 4th gear is the 1
Will read sss's write up when posted and add any info I can
Old 12-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fevre
Have 1 in my 73 although the 4th gear sycro is toast (need to pull and rebuild it) but if you are going to have 1 gear to skip 4th gear is the 1
Will read sss's write up when posted and add any info I can

Have you considered switching up to a 5-speed instead of rebuilding that 4-speed?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:48 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Have you considered switching up to a 5-speed instead of rebuilding that 4-speed?
Believe it is a a 5 speed being that it is a T5 just has a bad 4th gear syncro so I usually shift from 3rd to 5th but can granny it into 4th if I sync up the rpm's
Old 12-29-2006, 06:09 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Fevre
Believe it is a a 5 speed being that it is a T5 just has a bad 4th gear syncro so I usually shift from 3rd to 5th but can granny it into 4th if I sync up the rpm's

Oh I get it. I thought you were saying your top gear cooked in your 4-speed. My bad.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:32 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

I can't seem to find my write up and pics, so I will try to cover the main issues.

I used the stock Camaro bellhousing that tips the tranny about 16 degrees so the shifter would be closer to the stock hole and I could raise the trans up higher in the tunnel to get less ujoint angle at the tailhousing.

I then added about a 1.5 inches to the clutch fork, so I could use manual clutch. (I tried the hydraulic clutch, but I had to much firewall movement at the master cylinder.)

The stock Muncie slip yoke will fit the GM T5, so all you have to do is have a shorter driveshaft built.

I found a T5 on Ebay that had a mechanical speedometer drive so that was not a problem.

I already had built a removable cross member so I can't tell you how much you will have to move your rear trans mount, but it is not hard to fab one up.

I cut the stock shifter off as close as I could to the plate and welded a piece of metal on the stub to move the shifter into the stock location.

Keep in mind that a midyear has very little clearence at the top of the trans and the console. A shark you have alot more room to work with to make your shifter work. "If I was putting a T5 in a shark I would use my stock bell housing not have to modify the clutch linkage."

Here are a few pics of the different mods. Hope some of this helps.

SSS

Get notified of new replies

To T5 swap into 72 Corvette

Old 12-30-2006, 08:20 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
The stock Muncie slip yoke will fit the GM T5, so all you have to do is have a shorter driveshaft built.
My Muncie M20 Yoke would not work, much too large, I used a TH350 take apart yoke from a vette.

I used the vette bellhousing so the shifter comes up below the shifter plate and had to make a shifter modification similar to the one shown.

Getting drive line vibration so I think the trans bracket I made is a little off, did it on my back in the garage so it might have moved when I tack welded. Need to find someone with a lift and the skills to make up a bracket and align the trans with the rear diff to cancel the angles out and hopefully eliminate the vibration.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:50 AM
BerniesVette
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Conver to a Hyd. clutch; you would love the difference!
Bernie
Old 12-30-2006, 10:03 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Ferve, that is odd, My muncie slip yoke fits my 700R and the T5. I just assumed that T5s and Muncie m20 used the same slip yoke. I have a Turbo 400 that takes the larger GM slip yoke, but thought it was exclusive to the 400.

The thing I like about the T5 is its overall smoothness. You might need to get the trans up a little higher in the tunnel.

I agree, in a shark you are better off using the stock bellhousing and running the trans straight up and making a little longer shifter modification. As i said earlier, you have a lot more room in the shark tunnel.

SSS

Quick Reply: T5 swap into 72 Corvette