C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust OPtions for 1982 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 09:54 PM
kensblue82
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust OPtions for 1982 Vette

Here's my situation. I have the standard dual exhaust into a single catalytic converter, back to dual exhaust. Instead of stock mufflers I had twin "monza" type tips. Anyway, they were rusty and the rear "y" pipe had a hole in it from dragging the ground. I cut the "y" pipe off after the catalytic converter and added a turndown. I really like how clean the rear of the car looks, and the car is not terribly loud from the outside, but... from the inside the vibration is terrible. The car vibrates a lot at higher rpms and the noise is louder than I care for. Again, I would like to try and keep the clean lines at the rear from not having mufflers exiting the back, and am too tight to spring for sidepipes. Has anyone had any experience with a muffler (glasspack?) immediately behind the cat? There's not a lot of room before you get to the rear wheels but I thought I might be able to sneak something in to reduce the vibration. If I can't find another solution my fallback position is to buy another 'Y' pipe and mufflers and put it back stock.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Quick Reply: Exhaust OPtions for 1982 Vette